Ground Straps

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
John Harley

Ground Straps

Post by John Harley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Friends

A word to the wary. I have had my 1950 Eight for 13 years and over 23,000 miles. in that time I have replaced both the battery and the voltage regulator 5 or 6 times.

Today, the gray ghost was in my favorite mechanic's garage, being serviced, it was determined that the battery and voltage regulator were both toasted=they are 51 weeks old. During the head scracthing , the Mechanic Known as Speedy took a look.

There was no ground strap from the block to the frame. I thought I saw one one the car about 10 years ago, but there is not one now. I know about this, I once lost 4 computer hard drives in 12 months because the house circuit I was using wasn't grounded

See you in Gettysburg

John Harley

Adam

Re: Ground Straps

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:12 am

A useful reminder, John. I suppose the accelerator linkage does not make for the best ground strap !!

I would have expected there to be a ground strap between the starter mounting bolts and the chassis. You may well find the starter is more effective if it has a better earth.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.