37' 120c generator

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Dwight Bedsole

37' 120c generator

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:09 pm

I am rebuilding the generator in my 1937 120C - new brushes, front bearing and rear bushing and notice that the existing brass bushing appears to have a hole cut in the side to allow contact with an oil wick - is this normal? my replacement bushing does not have such an access - will I need to drill a hole through the bushing? also what is the best direction to remove the old bushing - from the inside out or from the outside in?
Thanks
Dwight

Dwight Bedsole

Re: 37' 120c generator

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 am

I am replying to my own question in case someone else is rebuilding their generator. The rear brass bushing can be removed easily with a 7/16" deep well socket and a hammer from the inside - out. The typical rebuild kit includes a front bearing, three brushes and a rear brass bushing. The wall of the brass bushing must be cut to allow the armature to contact the oil wick. Approximately 3/8" from the end of the bushing a 1/4" drill bit can be used to cut the access - the drill bit should lay sideways on the bushing to cut an elliptical access hole. I cleaned the hole with a fine rat tail file and 1000 grit paper. see below.

Sorry but the file (photo) too large to post.
Dwight