Fog Light switch

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
randyheldenbrand

Fog Light switch

Post by randyheldenbrand » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 am

I recently purchased a 1947 Clipper Deluxe. It is has the Packard fog lights on it and I am trying to get them to work. The "switch" on the dash marked "Fog Lights" seems to be stuck. As hard as I tried I can not get it to come out; it won't budge. The "fresh air switch" also seems to be stuck. All the other switches will pull out and they work fine. Any idea what's wrong? I don't want to force ether switch and break them. Advise...thanks.

Howard56

Re: Fog Light switch

Post by Howard56 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Those are both options and if the car was not delivered with the option there usually was no switch or cable supplied. I think you will find the chrome pulls are just fastened to a fixed stud like affair bolted in the hole where a switch would go and there is no switch or Bowden cable (Fresh Air) to pull. Depending on who installed the fog lights and if they were special ordered for a Clipper the dealer might not have had the switch. He might have had a universal switch on the shelf and installer could have opted to use an underdash hang on type switch for the fog lights. If you look up under the dash look for any open or empty spots on the center chrome. If you see any take an Allen wrench and loosen the setscrew on the bottom of the pull so it will come off. I think the stud will be all that is present.

randyheldenbrand

Post by randyheldenbrand » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:44 pm

I thought the fog lights might have been a dealer installed (they have Packard written on them) option. I just got the car so haven't looked it over completely. I looked for a switch or toggle along the bottom of the dash; but, so far nothing. Thanks for the help...there a few things on the Packard I am trying to figure out and the owner's manual and shop manual are not much help for these type of things. Also at some point in time they decided to do away with the gas pedal starter and go to a regular ignition switch type (I'll have fun trying to put that back)then they away the old switch with the key that also works for the glove box. All in all it's a real good low miles car with about a two page list of small items that need to be fixed.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:30 pm

agree with Howard. if you have a flashlight, mirror and a tiny elf to crawl up under the dash, check for presence of switch/wiring.