1930 Model 733 Distributor removal

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
n2oldthings

1930 Model 733 Distributor removal

Post by n2oldthings » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

I have purchased a point conversion kit from Max Merritt to convert my 1930 Packard Model 733 from dual points to single point system. I saw somewhere on this site of someone mentioning these kits were available since the original points have gotten so expensive and hard to find. I looked but could not find it mentioned on this site again. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has used one of these kits and if it worked out ok, and how they put it in. Also, can I take the old plate out of the distributor and put the new one in with the distributor left attached to the engine. I hate to take it out if not necessary so I won't get timing off by chance. Either way I would still like to know how to remove the distributor for future reference. The base has 4 screws that screws it to the head. Do I remove these 4 screws and just lift the dist. out. I seem to be doing a lot of projects on this car at the same time. Mainly thinking ahead and getting answers to each one of them so I will have all the facts when I tackle each one.
Everyone on this site has been very helpful and they are well appreciated too.

34PackardGuy

Re: 1930 Model 733 Distributor removal

Post by 34PackardGuy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 am

Sorry I'm not specifically familiar with that model, but for the slightly later engines with the distributor mounted on the cylinder head, yes, you just remove the bolts and lift the distributor off. Take note of the rotor position before removing, and reinstall with it in the same position (the drive end of the distributor may be off-center to prevent incorrect installation, but best to be safe and make note of it).

I always recommend removing a distributor when servicing so the condition of the shaft bushings can be evaluated and the centrifugal advance weights can also be inspected, cleaned and lubricated. I don't have any familiarity with the replacement breaker plate but it's a fairly common conversion among those who don't want to source the correct points.

Hope this has been helpful. Come back to us if you have problems.

n2oldthings

Post by n2oldthings » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks 34PackardGuy. Appreciate the reply and input. What should I use to clean the centrifugal advance weights and what type lubricate do I use.
Thanks again.

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Just clean any dirt and dried lubricant and debris from the weights and other moving parts with a little brake cleaner or other solvent; relubricate the pivot pins with a drop of oil, and perhaps a little white grease on any sliding parts. And make sure the springs are intact. See the right-hand photo on page 2 of the attached (used with permission of the author) which should be somewhat similar.
Attachments
Maintaining dist pg 2.jpg
Maintaining dist pg 1.jpg

n2oldthings

Post by n2oldthings » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks again 34PackardGuy, I think I feel comfortable enough now to do the distributor work with your help. Also, thank Dave for the pictures of the distributor you posted. Will post results when I get the job done.