starter for my 250 convertible

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
gbuchner

starter for my 250 convertible

Post by gbuchner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello,
it is my first post and i hope you will apologize my "austrian" english.
My Delco-Remy 1108008 starter is unrepearable damaged and so a am looking for a used one or a interchange type.
Can you give me a tip where i will find a 1108008 or with which other starter type i can replace it.
Maybe there is a european fitting part?
Many thanks in advance.
George

Dave Czirr

Re: starter for my 250 convertible

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:52 am

Hi George, and welcome.

I'm not aware of any European substitute starter. New and rebuilt units should be rather commonly available here in the US. You might start with the vendor who sponsors this forum and whose contact info is at the top of the page. You might also contact Max Merritt Packard parts in Indiana. If you go to the yellow pages on this website you'll find several more like Patrician Industries and Bob's Packard Parts.

Note that if buying a rebuilt starter you normally must provide a rebuildable core in exchange, or pay a core charge.

Howard56

Re: starter for my 250 convertible

Post by Howard56 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am

You did not mention a reason the starter is not repairable or if the car has been converted to 12v. If the car is still 6v then as Dave said, starters are available. If there has been a conversion to 12v be advised that there have been several people reporting cracked and broken starter castings due to the increased torque and speed the 6v starter case needs to absorb due to the 12 volts. If that is the reason you had a problem it might be a good idea to have any replacement original style starter rewired to 12v or perhaps get a modern mini starter to take its place.

One company who has an ebay store has modified the mount on mini starters to fit some Packard engines and could possibly help if you have a 12v conversion or cannot find a regular starter. He does not have as large a selection as in the past but maybe could still supply one. https://www.ebay.com/str/Awto-Bahagi?_t ... 7675.l2563