bxov 26 Strumberg carb question

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Ajrjer90

bxov 26 Strumberg carb question

Post by Ajrjer90 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 am

Can anyone tell me what this hole behind this plug is for? (See the attached pic, I am pointing at the plug.) Fuel will come gushing out of this hole. I had my carb rebuilt by a reportable classis car restorer and they put a plug in this hole. I brought the carb back and installed it on the car and then I had a leak under the bowl on the carb. I took the carb back and the carb guy and he worked on it again and he told me he "cleaned" it.
BXOV-26.jpg
I installed the carb back on the car and the leaks went away and the car was running good.....Until yesterday. I got the car back in the garage and popped the hood and the plug that was pushed in the hole was sitting on the head of the car. The fuel was again gushing out of the hole. I pulled the carb off and put the plug back in the hole and tried to start the car. It started but, once again, it is leaking under the bowl.

Has anyone else had this or something similar happen to them? Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Radic
Harrisburg, PA
1941 Parkard 110 Coup

Dave Czirr

Re: bxov 26 Strumberg carb question

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Sorry I can't answer specifically but in my experience such plugs typically close off terminal openings used in the process of forming the internal fluid passages in the casting. The ones I recall were aluminum and tapered in form. If I'm correct, I'd hope your carburetor rebuilder can provide a new one that fits more securely. Hope this is of some help.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 am

I agree with Dave here. I am not familiar with that model of carb, but that looks like a plug to close a drilling through the casting, part of the way the carb is made. It would be similar to a core plug (freeze plug) in a cylinder block in that respect.

It really needs a better sealing plug to be fitted. It does appear to be at the top of the float bowl, but evidently, some fuel can still leak from there.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Ajrjer90

Post by Ajrjer90 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks for the reply's gentlemen.