Carb queston

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Ajrjer90

Carb queston

Post by Ajrjer90 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Hello fellow Packard owners. I have a general question about carb's. I have a 41 Packard 110 that just had the engine rebuilt professionally by a Classic Car restorer in Central Pennsylvania. I just rebuilt the carb and installed it back on the car and started it up. The car ran like a top...until I tried to put the air cleaner back on. Once I put the air cleaner back on, it want's to stall. It seems like it is not getting enough air to keep running.

I know this is not just a Packard problem but could be a problem with any single barrel carb powered car out there. The carb is a Stromberg BXOV26 and pretty simple design. The only part of the rebuild I am not sure of is fuel level in the bowl. Not quite sure how to measure or what the float measurement is supposed to be. Other carb's I have researched want you to take the carb top off and measure while it is running. I have spent the last two days trying to google possible reasons why this is happening from float level, incorrectly set choke, running rich or running lean.

I figured I would ask in this forum and see if I can get any help from any of you Packard owners. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from some of you.

Andrew Radic
1941 Packard 110 Deluxe.

Dave Czirr

Re: Carb queston

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:52 am

If as you suggest it runs fine without the air fillter, then doesn't that suggest that your problem may be with the air cleaner itself. Perhaps it's clogged, or perhaps some felt sound deadener has become unattached and blocked the air passage? Though that's a rare occurance, it's been reported before.

My Motor's Manual, 12th Edition (1935-1949) gives multi-page step by step instructions for rebuilding BXO series carbs. For the 1941 Model 110 they indicate code #10-46A and fuel level of 5/8" measured with a depth gauge or simple ruler from the fuel level to the casting face with the engine idling, air horn removed.

Prudence

Re: Carb queston

Post by Prudence » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 am

Good Morning...Just a question...Is the problem that with the air filter in place, the mixture is too lean...can you adjust the mixture so it is a bit rich with the filter off...and then about right when the filter is put on? Is it possible that your carburetor has a jet in it that is the wrong size? I have seen this situation a few times...only God knows (maybe) how many times someone has been inside that carburetor. ;) Ernie in Arizona