53 cavalier fuel filter

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Coach Js

53 cavalier fuel filter

Post by Coach Js » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 am

Through my research online, I have seen packards from the 50s with a glass filter housing on the front of the carburetor. My car does not have this. However, I read somewhere that the filter may be on the pump instead.

Should my base model 53 cavalier have this glass housed filter on the carb? Was this not original to my model car? Any info appreciated.

Thank you as always

Dave Czirr

Re: 53 cavalier fuel filter

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:12 am

I'd have to check the 1953 Packard Accessory Catalog but I believe that as late as 1953 the in-line glass bowl filter was still an accessory and not standard equipment. And the ''filter" in the pump is nothing more than a fine metal screen which can catch larger debris but not fine particles or silt.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:06 am

Ok. Good to know. Thank you.
Is there a filter i should have, that was standard equipment? Or, can I just add one to the fuel line? I feel as though I should have one.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 am

Take a look at the 1953 Owner's Manual, the optional gas filter which would be mounted just ahead of the carburetor, is pictured. There were also aftermarket types that were similar in function and appearance. If authenticity is important to you, try to find an original or an "of the era" filter, they are commonly available. If only functionality is important, get a modern disposable filter, you could install it before the carburetor (easy to service but visually poor) or in some less visible location.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am

I'm trying to stay authentic. So I'll look around for a filter from that time. I like the glass ones, but I'm sure the car didn't come with that option.

GriffDC

Post by GriffDC » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Dave Czirr wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 am
Take a look at the 1953 Owner's Manual, the optional gas filter which would be mounted just ahead of the carburetor, is pictured. There were also aftermarket types that were similar in function and appearance. If authenticity is important to you, try to find an original or an "of the era" filter, they are commonly available. If only functionality is important, get a modern disposable filter, you could install it before the carburetor (easy to service but visually poor) or in some less visible location.
Off topic. Can we get a manual for '53 online? My uncle is looking to get this '54 Cavalier project from his good friend. It has been sitting in the barn for about 8 years now so we'll take a look at it after we finished installing the brake kit and bilstein shocks on the current truck project. The owner mentioned his son lost the manual.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm

If you mean a hard copy, reprints of the 53 and 54 owners manual and some service information is available in the PAC store accessed from the home page of this site. If you just want to download electronic versions, owners manuals plus any number of service, sales, and other factory literature is available at www.packardinfo.com. Select the literature archive on the left menu. All literature is available as a free download.