Headlights, horn, taillights, indicator lights

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
zoltar

Headlights, horn, taillights, indicator lights

Post by zoltar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:00 am

Good morning, New to me 50 packard. Turn off there's an easy fixture known fix, I just haven't had time to look at it yet really but my headlights, horn, taillights common indicator lights don't work. Blower inside works cigarette lighter works. Door lights work. Is there any easy fix I should look for distort tracing wires. Haven't found a fuse Box yet. I do have a manual for 51 Don't know if things are the same I've been working constantly since I bought the car. Thanks for any help
Attachments
20210309_141942_copy_1008x756.jpg

Howard56

Re: Headlights, horn, taillights, indicator lights

Post by Howard56 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:36 am

Packards of that era do not have fuse boxes. Everything is protected by inline fuses or circuit breakers. Location of the fuse or breaker depends on the item. I would suggest you download a copy of the 1950 23rd series wiring diagram. There are diagrams on site here but while I did not download one to view, what comes up in the browser window with the 1950 selections do not look complete. You might go to www.packardinfo.com and select the literature archive from the left menu and then wiring diagrams and radio sheets from the next window that appears. The 1949-50 23rd series wire diagram is about halfway down the page and is available to freely download as is all the other literature. As to other literature, there is a lot of sales and service info on that site including an owners manual which might be of some use. Unfortunately, other than the wiring diagram, the 46-50 years are those which Packard chose not to provide info on any electrical items in the service manual.

The headlights and tail lights are both fed from the headlight switch which has its own breaker mounted to the back of the switch. Dash lights are fed via the headlight switch too but their power goes thru the instrument lamp switch before reaching the bulbs.

The horn gets its own power coming directly off the starter solenoid BAT terminal and that wire goes to the horn relay mounted on the side of the radiator cradle. It is not fused. The S terminal of the horn relay is ultimately connected to a wire coming out the end of the steering box which makes the connection with the horn ring. For the horn to fail, the relay could be bad, connection at the steering box disconnected or something could be amiss with the horn ring contact points in the steering wheel.

Here is a photo of the rear of the switch cluster. The item circled is the headlight breaker and can be replaced by a modern Napa breaker. The two arrows point to studs which will have barrel nuts threaded onto them. By moving the vent controls that are fastened to the dash under the switches out of the way and removing the barrel nuts you can pull the switch panel back and then swing it down to access the switches. Try not to move things too much because the wiring is old, stiff and brittle. The rubber insulation can crack and fall off in chunks allowing shorts to develop where the wires enter the loom or even under the fabric wrapping.
Attachments
22-3 dashswitches1.jpg

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Think you so much for taking all the time to tell me that. All the switches in my car those push button switches. I will get under the - tomorrow and see what I can see thank you so much.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:34 am

Another thing on the horn. Not as likely as the other things to check first but a few have reported after a car has sat for years they have found the contact points inside the horns oxidized or other parts rusted and corroded to the point the diaphragms cannot move. The contacts are sitting there normally closed waiting for power. When power is applied the magnet pulls the diaphragm which opens the points which immediately close again to start the repeating rapid vibration cycle. If points are dirty and not making initial contact or cannot open the horns will be silent.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:54 am

Thanks for the info I did hot wire the horns at the horn itself in the work