Inline fuse holders - stuck

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Zekedu

Inline fuse holders - stuck

Post by Zekedu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 am

Does anyone have a good way to open the inline fuse holders?

There I was head down contorted and uncomfortable under the dash, looking for the myriad little metal cylinders that hold the rumored treasure. Feet ruining the headliner as I frog kicked my way further along the innards.... They are here, I see them, stretched tightly between the wires and reluctant to open after 47 years of repose. Jagged knives abound trying to open a vein or two as I prowl through the ancient looming. I have worn the flesh off of my fingertips trying to push and twist the lil darlings to no avail, and am awash In sanguine slime with the bones of the ends of my fingers sticking out like chopsticks. I pushed on the tab that secures the end of the vault with my bony appendages and succeeded in only nicking my knuckle.

Please help if you can. Else send bandages.

Regards
Zeke

Howard56

Re: Inline fuse holders - stuck

Post by Howard56 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am

Usually the metal holders do not cause too much problem BUT the holders are generally size specific to SFE type fuses. If someone has managed to cram a higher amp fuse (which have larger physical sizes) than what the holder calls for then the spring could have compressed so tightly the holder jammed. If that is the case there is no tried and true method to get them apart. Packard did not see fit to include a fuse chart in owners manuals before the 48 models but if wanted you can download a 48 manual from www.packardinfo.com The 47 uses the same value fuses but the locations given as to where the fuse holders are normally positioned will, in most cases, be different.

Note that behind the cluster there are two resistors in what looks to be the same type metal fuse holders. Those resistors should not be disturbed and there is probably a cardboard sleeve over the holders. The holders are connected to the two turn signal indicator lights and if you are trying to open them, the holders may not come apart easily.
Attachments
resistor.jpg
sfe fuses.jpg

Zekedu

Re: Inline fuse holders - stuck

Post by Zekedu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:25 am

So far all the fuses have been SPE 14. This one is near the bottom of the dash and has a bayonet slot in it. Definitely not a resistor. Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep plugging away