Fuel Line Leak

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
pagerart

Fuel Line Leak

Post by pagerart » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 am

I just replaced the fuel pump on my 54 Panama. It extends toward the front a little more than the old one and since an electric pump line fitting was also there, there wasn't room to make the turn in front of the water pump. I had an elbow made and made a new fuel line out of copper. Unfortunately, no matter how much I try to perfect my flares, it leaks at the tubing fittings. Can I replace this line with a rubber line with hose clamps? Is this an issue when I have the car judged, even though there are already rubber lines connecting the fuel pump to the carb? Any other suggestions so I can get this car back on the road without blowing it up? Thanks for your help.

Art Rosen

Howard56

Re: Fuel Line Leak

Post by Howard56 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Not sure you would need to worry about judges taking points off for the use of some rubber hose because with the elbow the fuel system is already not stock. If the judges checked that closely to see the additional hose the car would most likely have already taken a hit.

The stock fuel system would have the metal fuel line extend up from the crossmember below the radiator a short distance and be terminated with a nut and inverted flare on the end of the tube. Completing the line from the end of the metal tube to the fuel pump inlet would be a short length of hose with fittings on each end. The hose is placed there to absorb any engine movement.

Electric fuel pumps, for the most part, have been placed inline near the tank and powered thru a separate switch so they can be turned on for priming or emergency use but kept off for normal driving.

Here are photos of the stock 54 senior arrangement and your Clipper would be identical. Note the metal line clamped to the crossmember center then going up and extending past the trans cooler. The end cannot be seen behind the cooler but there would be a short rubber hose completing the connection to the pump. As an incidental point, the person who did the work on the otherwise nicely done 54 chassis has also used a piece of rubber hose from the pump to a short metal line running to the carb. This is incorrect as stock would have been a long curved length of steel tubing to the front of the pump as shown in the parts book photo. Sometimes pumps are received from a vendor improperly assembled with the port positions reversed. In that instance the pump needs to have the body halves separated and the bottom rotated 180 to have the outlet port in the front.
Attachments
54 chassis2.jpg
fuel hose.jpg
pump to carb.jpg

pagerart

Post by pagerart » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for your help Howard. I will try the rubber line and at least try to get the car running without leaking. I'm not sure if I should spend the money to reroute the electric pump more discretely or just leave it like it is. I appreciate your advice.

Best regards,
Art

GriffDC

Post by GriffDC » Sun May 02, 2021 1:42 pm

pagerart wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 am
Thanks for your help Howard. I will try the rubber line and at least try to get the car running without leaking. I'm not sure if I should spend the money to reroute the electric pump more discretely or just leave it like it is. I appreciate your advice.

Best regards,
Art
My uncle is looking to get this Clipper Panama project with some leak issues as well. It may need a new pump says the current owner and he also mentioned about that the reroute electric pump. We'll just finish installing the brake kit and bilstein shocks on the truck this week before we can take a closer look at the Panama.