1940 Packard 180 On the way home problem.

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
1940Packard180

1940 Packard 180 On the way home problem.

Post by 1940Packard180 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:54 pm

Since today was a nice day and the rest of the week not so much I decided to take my 1940 Packard 180 for a spin. On the way back home the car started sputtering, backfiring and finally shuddered to a stop. I could not get it started. Thinking I knew what the problem was I walked back to my home (which was only 3 blocks away grabbed my tools and a flashlight and jumped into my Grand Marquis. I had my cordless drill with the wire brush attachment a powerful flashlight and my ratchet and socket set. I expected to find fouled spark plugs. When I pulled the first plug, it was not fouled it was clean and bright. I then tried starting the car-It FIRED! It was still running a bit rough but I made it to my garage and parked it there. I walked back to get my Mercury. Now I purchased this car in 2019 and it is true I don't know the last time the engine was tuned; I am strongly suspecting bad points or condenser(?) Could the timing be off? I recently put the choke more to the lean side since the weather is getting warmer and also to save gas. I strongly suspect bad points or condenser does anyone know an Auto store that would carry these items?

Dave Czirr

Re: 1940 Packard 180 On the way home problem.

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 am

Replacement parts, not necessarily identical to the original but fully functional, can be found at most any decent modern auto parts store. I'd recommend NAPA and specifically CS 721A ignition points and an AL 869 condenser. Buy an extra set or two, no telling how long these parts will be so easily and inexpensively available.

1940Packard180

Post by 1940Packard180 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 am

Dave thank you again for your knowledge I am also wondering if perhaps my timing can be off. I wire brushed the timing plate indicator off so I could read it but i guess the 80 year old mark has worn off and my eyesight is not exactly great (or a combination of the 2) could you or someone else post a pic of a pristine timing plate so I could see where the marks are-and i will mark them with red paint.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 am

A good Packard morning to you...Since your Packard re-started after it cooled down a bit...this is a classic symptom of a concensor that is at the end of its life...change the condenser and see how things go...I doubt that your timing has slipped...when you purchase the condenser purchase a couple of them and keep the extra in the Packard...Most likely all you need to do is clean your points with a points file or a swipe or two with very, very fine sandpager and then vacume with your shop vac....Ernie in Arizona

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 am

Here's an illustration for 1941, as I recall this is from the Owner's Manual. I'm assuming 1940 is similar.
Attachments
1941 timing marks.jpg

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:20 am

And another photo from the Ignition Systems Training Manual published in 47. This is the type pointer I have on my 21st series 356 and on my damper the markings are not deeply stamped so can easily be painted over.
Attachments
timing.jpg

1940Packard180

Post by 1940Packard180 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:39 pm

Thanks gentlemen for all your help I do believe the timing was way off-I had a neighbor help me reset the timing and we did it mostly by ear although I did find a chalk mark on the vibration damper that was likely put on by a previous owner. When the engine sounded good we clipped the distributor in place and i replaced the chalk mark with red paint. I will replace the points and condenser in the next day or two. After I reset the timing I drove to an mostly empty industrial park near my home and took it up to 70MPH with no issues.

dgpnaples

Re: 1936 packard 120 B Timing

Post by dgpnaples » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:55 am

I just read your post on the timing you did on your car. I have a 36 Packard 120B, 282 with the dual point Autolite distributor. My car didn't quit like yours BUT I did have burnt points and fouled plugs, running sluggish, so I changed the points, condenser, cap, rotor and plugs.

Now it appears that my timing is off. I tried posting the question on the Forum last week, but nobody responded. My service manual has me checking the timing mark on the flywheel, 7 degrees BTDC. Not sure how to do that with a 12 volt timing light? I thought if I hooked up to a separate 12V battery and connected the lead to the 1st plug, it might work? What do you think? I have the original 6 volt setup on my car.

I assume that I would loosen the distributor hold down bolt and either advance or retard as any standard distributor to get the 7 degrees BTDC, if I can see the marking on ther flywheel. When I test drive the car, it runs very sluggish, can't accelerate past 25/30 , that is best she will run. So I need to knowif I have to advance or retard the distributor?

Also, what is the knob on the left side of my distribiutor.? Can't find any info in my service manaual. Any advise is welcome.

dgpnaples

Post by dgpnaples » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:57 am

Here are the photos of my 120B distributor.
Attachments
Fuel compensator pointer.JPG
Distributor Hold down bolt.JPG
KNOB controls what.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:33 am

The "knob" is a grease cup and it's purpose is to provide lubrication to the distributor shaft bushings. Once filled with grease (originally "cup" grease), you periodically turn the cup about a half turn to force a little grease into the shaft bushings. Almost certainly its discussed in the owner's manual in the section on lubrication.