Battery Issue with a 1934 Packard 1100

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Payneangelfire

Battery Issue with a 1934 Packard 1100

Post by Payneangelfire » Thu May 27, 2021 2:57 pm

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have a 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan. Love the car. Beautiful. Today while driving
the car I stopped off at a friends house who wanted to see the car. After sitting
for 20 minutes the car would not restart. I read the owner's manual and pressed
the accelerator to the floor and it still would not start. I also have an electric fuel
pump which I turned on. Still would not start. Tried starting until the starter
started dragging. Walked home and picked up a spare 6 volt battery which I
installed in the car. Still would not start. When putting the old battery on
a charger I noticed two things. First, that it was showing 8.12 volts. Second,
it was an 8 volt Die Hard battery and not a 6 volt which is what I thought I
had. With all that said, the car still does not start.
Ideas??

Thanks in advance.

John P.
#046050P

Dave Czirr

Re: Battery Issue with a 1934 Packard 1100

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu May 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems. Finding an 8-volt battery is almost always a really bad sign, it often means the car had problems which the prior owner was unwilling to properly attend to and correct so he decided to just "mask" the problem with an 8-volt battery.

The problem could be many things and possibly a combination of things. I'd start with a quick check of the obvious, fuel at the carburetor, spark at the plugs at the proper time, air and compression. And of course check the starter motor thoroughly, bearing, brushes, fields and armature - chances you'll find issues based on your description.

When checking for spark, even though it will start and run on just 4 cylinders, remember you have essentially 2 independent 4-cylinder ignition systems so check plugs fired by each of the coils.

Payneangelfire

Post by Payneangelfire » Fri May 28, 2021 6:47 am

Dave,
Once again thanks for your help. After your advice on previous questions I had decided to buy you a beer whenever I met you at a Packard function. Frankly, I think you are up to a fine bottle of wine.

This morning I checked the fuel filter and found it clear. Carburetor was clean. Tried to start with the run down 6 volt battery I swapped into the car yesterday. Turned on the electric fuel pump. Starter really dragged with the run down 6 volt battery. Car did not start. I swapped out the 6 volt with the 8 volt that was originally in the car. Showed 8.12 volts on the voltmeter. The car started instantly and ran well. Drove her around, parked in the garage, shut the car off, let sit for a few minutes, and then easily restarted.

My guess is I either flooded the car or it got hot (this is Houston and it got up to 90 yesterday) and vapor locked. I had thought the electric fuel pump would overcome this (it does on my 1939 Cadillac LaSalle), but it did not. Another thought, though, is that when I stopped in my neighbor's driveway yesterday, it was on a pronounced slope. Would this slope somehow cause the car not to start by draining fuel away from the carburetor?

Regardless, it's running. Have to park it for a few weeks as we will be out of town. Will dig into the starter issues as you suggested then.

Thanks again for the advice.

John P.
#046050P

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 am

Glad you got it started. No, parking on a slope should not have any negative effect on starting. After all, folks parked on slopes in 1934 too.

I hope you get rid of that 8-volt battery and get back to the proper system ASAP. If for no other reason (and there are many), 8 volts will shorten bulb life and those 3003 headlight bulbs are hard to source and can easily cost several hundred dollars each.