horn

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Skip

horn

Post by Skip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:20 pm

I have a 1935 Super 8 1205 854. My horn button is not not functioning. I have traced everything to have power except at the top of the button. Can anyone explain how the button is removed to gain access to the wire at the steering wheel.
Thanks
Skip Smith

Dave Czirr

Re: horn

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Sure. It's been many years since I did it, but I think I recall the steps. Remove the light switch cover and then the light switch from the bottom of the column, and swing it aside. Remove the bevel gear assembly for the hand throttle, and then remove the packing gland assembly that seals the gear oil in the steering box from entering the light switch. The gland seals around the outer of several thin (easily bent, be careful) concentric brass tubes that run up the column, with the horn wire in the center. Then carefully push the concentric rods (one for throttle, one for headlights) back up the steering column until the underside of the steering wheel bezel with the controls and horn button is accessible. Easy enough job, though a bit tedious and complicated. Be CAREFUL not to bend the brass tubes!! When reassembling, it's a good time to renew the packing in the gland, especially if you find any traces of gear oil in the light switch.

Skip

Re: horn

Post by Skip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Dave
Thank you for your reply, now I have a job tomorrow.
Regards
Skip Smith