'40 120 reverse light

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
jblair1948

'40 120 reverse light

Post by jblair1948 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:14 pm

I'm working on my dad's '40 Packard 120 Coupe. Here is a reverse light mounted on the
rear bumper and a switch mounted on the steering column to be activated by the
shift linkage. I'm installing a new wiring harness, which does not appear to have
wires for a reverse light. The wires I pulled out were modern (plastic insulated)
wires.

I was wondering if the reverse light was a valid factory option? If so, was the
wiring part of the harness or just something cobbled together?

John
John T. Blair WA4OHZ email: jblair1948@cox.net
Va. Beach, Va

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org

If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

Dave Czirr

Re: '40 120 reverse light

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi John: Can't say if the light fixture you have is correct or not, but backing or reverse lights were available in 1941 and in fact the senior Packards had them as far back as 1933 or even further. I have a 1941 120 wiring diagram that shows an "accessory wiring diagram" for backing light, fog lamps, heater, etc., see upper left corner of the attached image. I'm assuming 1940 was similar though I don't have that information. Also a backing light installation could have been done by a dealer and thus the wiring would probably not have been in the harness and perhaps wasn't either for a factory installation. And of course the wire would have been cloth-covered rubber.

I hope this is helpful. I"ll see if I can track down an accessory wiring diagram for a 1940 120. Stop back and check from time to time. Welcome!!

UPDATE: John, if you go to the main PAC website (link above) and then to "Wiring" you can view a wiring diagram for the 1940 120 model. It also shows a single (driver's side) backing light. That definatively answers your question about it's availability. As to whether the wiring was in the standard harness, an added harness, or just run as an add-on I can't say but perhaps others will have some information.
Attachments
41 120 wiring diagrams.jpg

jblair1948

Post by jblair1948 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Dave,

Outstanding!!! Thanks for the info. I may have to rewire the reverse light with modern wiring. But that's OK.

John
Va. Beach, Va

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:53 am

John, no need to use modern wire unless you want to, it's easy enough to get OEM-style cloth-covered wire in a variety of gauges. OEM-style wires are lacquered cloth outer covering in various solid colors or patterns with color tracers over PVC insulation over copper core. Gives you the advantage of modern insulation and of-the-era outer appearance. Try Brillman for example, also Ford vendors like Snyders.

jblair1948

Post by jblair1948 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:58 am

Great, thanks. I'll check into them.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any wire colors marked on the wiring diag. But that's OK.

John
Va. Beach, Va