10% kerosene/non-ethanol gas mix

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
introinc

10% kerosene/non-ethanol gas mix

Post by introinc » Mon May 02, 2022 5:24 am

Does anyone have experience using a 10% kerosene/non-ethanol 87 octane gas mix in 1941 Packard 120 to reduce/stop percolation?
I use an electric pump located at the tank as well. It does not stop percolation in the summer heat.
All input is welcome
Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave Czirr

Re: 10% kerosene/non-ethanol gas mix

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 02, 2022 10:12 am

Well, we all know what the issues are, today's gasoline is just more volatile than what our old buggies were designed for. But I'd think measures like you ask about really shouldn't be necessary unless you're experiencing equatorial heat. Is a heat shield installed around the fuel pump? Does the pump have an insulating block and bushings to minimize heat transfer from the block to the pump? I can't recall if these features were used on the 1941 120 which only has the single action fuel pump, they were used on most all other models and years. Has perhaps the fuel line from the pump with the filter been installed too close to the exhaust manifold? Is the manifold heat riser valve fully open when the engine warms up? Is the engine overheating?

For me, about the hottest daytime temperatures I experience with my Packard are in the high 90s, and have no fuel problems with 10% ethanol gas, but years back just for fun I did try some kerosene in the gas, about 5%. I didn't experience any significant problems with it, a bit of smoke was about it. So I don't think you have much to risk by giving it a try.

introinc

Re: 10% kerosene/non-ethanol gas mix

Post by introinc » Mon May 02, 2022 5:47 pm

Thanks again Dave for your input. I will check all of the points of configuration you noted. I really appreciate your help!