36 Light Switch

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
mikegrimes

36 Light Switch

Post by mikegrimes » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:17 am

I have a 36 Std 8, 2/4 coupe. The spring loaded light switches in the door jams that turn on the interior and running board lights are broken. Anyone have a working spare switch they want to sell or know of someone who repairs these? Thanks.

BigKev

Re: 36 Light Switch

Post by BigKev » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Mike,

How is your switch broken? Most door switches are simple one wire switches where the center pin grounds the electrical terminal to the outer shell of the switch when the door is opened. Usually when they stop working it is because of corrosion, or a broken spring.
Kevin 'BigKev' Waltman
WebMaster
http://www.PackardInfo.com
The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners

1954 Packard Deluxe Touring Sedan

mikegrimes

Post by mikegrimes » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Springs work well. I guess I'm going to need to drill the rivets open and see what's going on inside. Great fun. Of course for someone like you who has rebuilt everything on your 54, my problem is a walk in the park. :D

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 am

It is possble to buy generic door light switches. Over here they are supplied by Durite, but not sure if you have that brand. Try your local motor factors, they should be able to help. They are quite inexpensive, but should be a close match in appearance. Otherwise, you could hunt for a genuine Packard switch, of course.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

BigKev

Post by BigKev » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Mike,

Speak of the devil, I had one of door switches not working on my '54 when I checked them today. So first I media blasted the out side of the switch (a wire brush would work also). Then I bent open the tabs and the rear of the switch outer shell. The innards are only a spring, a central metal finger, the plastic plunger, and a round metal ring that rides on the bottom of the plunger. The metal ring contacts the outer shell as it slides. When the plunger pops out the ring contacts the finger in the middle. Assuming you have cleaned the outside of the switch, and where the wire connects and you switch still does not work, then really there are only two things that could be wrong with it: The finger, outer shell, or the ring has corrosion on it and is not completely the circuit. Or the metal finger in the middle does not have enough bend to it at the very end of it, and is not contacting the ring. On my switch I metal blasted all the metal pieces, and then can the finger a little more bend at the end. Put everything back in the shell, and re-secured the tabs. Worked like a charm.
IMAG0059.jpg
IMAG0060.jpg
Kevin 'BigKev' Waltman
WebMaster
http://www.PackardInfo.com
The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners

1954 Packard Deluxe Touring Sedan

Mr. DeMille

Post by Mr. DeMille » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:46 am

mikegrimes

Post by mikegrimes » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I'll post a photo of the switch in the next few days. I appreciate your help.