Packard 1100 Brake System - Copy of Manual

Discussions related to braking systems.
RodFru2U2

Packard 1100 Brake System - Copy of Manual

Post by RodFru2U2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Good Evening all,

I was driving my Father's 34 around on a sunny, warm day in Southern California and the Brake pedal went to the floor. We restored the car in the 80's and he has no manual I can find that explains what to look for in the brake area. Not much information about the vacuum booster or linkage in the manual he has. I want to ask questions using the correct name or number. Does somebody have copy of a manual of the whole system they can post, or point me in the right direction ? I have hand brake I have tried to adjust the booster on the dash ( 1- 4 ) I crawled under and can see there are no broken cables ( they are slack ) . The car runs, just does not stop. Thanks for all the help, I am trying to fix before I have the shop take care of it for my Pop. Thank you for any and all information, Rod

Dave Czirr

Re: Packard 1100 Brake System - Copy of Manual

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Its a rather standard and popular Bendix system; most any auto service manual of the era would cover it. Adjustment is covered in the 1934 Service Letters which I can post for you later when I get back to my PC.

However, a failure that allows the pedal to drop to floor is completely unrelated in any way to the Bragg Kliesrath power booster components, and also unrelated to any failure at a single wheel. Even with the power booster system disabled these cars still have quite competent braking. It can only be some catastrophic failure of linkage between the pedal itself and the primary actuating rod which runs side to side below the seat. Look at the pedal motion under the floor, the failure should be immediately apparent.

RodFru2U2

Post by RodFru2U2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 am

Thank You Dave for the response, Yes I thought even with the booster gone I should still have some brakes. I know the hand brake works ( used it to slow and stop ) . I will crawl under the car and see if I can find something broken or no longer connected. The car ran perfectly and never made any brake noise or grinding. Thank you again, Rod

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

Rod, the parking brake (which works on all 4 wheels) uses the same cross shaft, levers, cables and mechanism as the foot brake so the fact that it works is just further confirmation that your problem is somewhere in the immediate vicinity of where the pedal mechanism makes its first connections to the system. Here's a pretty good illustration, from the Master Parts List. Ignore the circled part of the illustration, that is from when I was pointing out the brake light switch to someone previously.
Attachments
34 brake pedal assy.jpg

RodFru2U2

Post by RodFru2U2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Dave, Thank you for the drawing. I was looking for anything that might have broken to allow the brake system to fail. I was able to get my Father in the drivers seat and operate the brake pedal while I was under looking for things not right. Turns out the Axle shaft lever had moved and the key had fallen out. I loosened the bolt holding the lever to expose the slot and see how much damage was done to the shaft. I have a few burrs to file but no real damage that I can tell so far. I have determined the width is 5/16" but not sure other than that.
Is the axle key a woodruff key ( with belly), it it hardened ,is it just mild steel 5/16" square stock ? I would hope a " goood " auto parts store would have one in stock once I know what I am looking for. Thank you again for all your help Dave, I really appreciate your insight and advice. Rod

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 pm

Glad you found the problem, it pretty much had to be right where you found it. Sorry but I have no direct knowledge of the key but just a close visual inspection by yourself should tell you if it's a woodruff or straight key. If the Parts List gives any further description I'll advise.

RodFru2U2

Post by RodFru2U2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks for the quick response Dave. The parts manual lists part #197065 brake shaft lever- inner key no specs for size or type. I will talk to a few of the Packard repair guys out here on this coast and see if they have any extra to sell or ideas what I am looking for. Thank you again for all the help . Rod

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 am

Good Morning...If you are in Southern California, Custom Auto at 3rd and French in Santa Ana specializes in Packards. They may have the part you need. 714-543-2980. Ask for Robert Escalente...Good Luck. Ernie in Arizona

RodFru2U2

Post by RodFru2U2 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank You Dave, and the rest of you guys. I was able to find a replacement 5/16" Woodruff Key in my Pop's stash. I have dug thru and used his supply of bolts,nuts and as many springs,washers and he knew he had a few there. Brake system was tested and all checked out, 90 mile trip in Southern California traffic . Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction and all the help, Rod

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 am

Rod, I'm glad to have been able to help, my pleasure.