brake locks up

Discussions related to braking systems.
tommlinar

brake locks up

Post by tommlinar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am

After taking my 40 120 out this spring after sitting for 3 months for winter. The first time I applied the brakes the left front whell locked up. Drove it slowly applying the brakes and each time it would ease up and within a hundred feet or so it will not lock up anymore, and will be normal from there on. This happens each time I take it out after it sits for a couple days. Drive with slight pressure on the pedal, and within 50 ft all is normal. I pulled the front drums on both sides, thinking maybe the right side wasnt working. The linings are perfect, there is no oil or anything visually wrong. All looks normal. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks Tom South Milwaukee Wis Also, when first applied and the wheel locks up, it releases normally, never stays locked up.

Dave Czirr

Re: brake locks up

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:16 am

Just guessing. Partially frozen wheel cylinder (when's the last time you drained/flushed and replaced the brake fluid and checked behind the dust cups on the cylinders)? Do you have adequate free play on the pedal linkage to allow the master cylinder compensator port to uncover? But perhaps more likely is a defective (internal failure) rubber brake hose.

Let us know what you find, please.

tommlinar

Post by tommlinar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Well Dave. Remember I said I pulled the drums, and nothing visually wrong, no oil leaks. Even at that, I took some emery and sanded the shoes, then washed everything with brake cleaner. The next couple times I drove the car after doing that, the wheel grabbed, less and less each time. The last two times I drove her, including this morning, nothing at all. Seems whatever the gremlin was in there got out. Thanks. Tom

Papple

Post by Papple » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 am

Hi chaps

I think I posted a while back that my 1930 745 has a bit the same problem in that the left rear wheel locks up for the first few moments of each drive. Of course the difference with mine is that the brakes are mechanical rather than hydraulic.

Even so, the problem on mine dissapears after a few hundred yards as well. Its particularly bad a low speeds especially as I have to do a 6-point turn to turn the car round on my driveway.

On my modern Mercedes the brakes tend to squeel and the mechanics told me that this is because I drive very gently and the brake pads tend to get "polished" because of the light usage.

Perhaps our old ladies suffer similarly from very gentle use?
1930 Packard 7-45 Dual Cowl Phaeton

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 am

With mechanicals like Bendix-Perrot it's most likely that the problem kts68 mentions is either an incorrect adjustment, or worn mechanical parts that prevent a perfect adjustment from being achieved. A full adjustment per the service letters was only required at the time of a reline, but it is a tedious and very time-consuming task to get it right and I think its safe to consider that prior owners probably didn't bother to do it properly. Perhaps kts68, time to bite the bullet and do a full adjustment.

As to Tom's problem that started this thread, I'm glad to hear that it's apparently resolved itself. Perhaps it just took a little time for the shoes and drum to "wear into each other", though I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing with brakes.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 am

Hi Ken, hope you are getting on well.

34PackardGuy may well be right about your car. The linings will glaze with light use. The modern materials are more prone to that than asbestos based ones used to be. However, it may be that your shoes are not corrctly adjusted. There are three shoes in each drum which react off each other, so it is important that they are correctly adjusted. It may be worth investigating at the end of the summer.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Papple

Post by Papple » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:55 am

Hi Adam

I did back off the adjuster on the offending wheel and it did improve it slightly to be fair.

The car is in for the MOT tomorrow (even though not due till January but I dont want to have to do it during the winter)

After that, as soon as the weather fails, she will be up on axle stands for the winter and I will do a full inspection and re-set of the brakes as well as a dozen other planned jobs.

I'm having the bumpers re-chromed and the exhaust manifold repaired so there will be plenty dry-dock time soon.

Its Thoresby Hall classic car show this Monday. Might you be going?

Ken

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:39 am

Hi Ken

I didn`t make it to Thoresby Hall, I am afraid. Nor have I looked at the forum until now (a week later). I hope you had a good time and I am glad that the Packard is getting some exercise. Was it the only one there?

I take it the dynamo is all sorted now?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Papple

Post by Papple » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 am

I went to Thoresby but didn't take the car as the weather was a bit hit-and-miss. It was OK but not as good as in previous years. I think the threat of bad weather kept the best cars at bay.