56 Packard - Easamatic Faliure

Discussions related to braking systems.
JonQAdams

56 Packard - Easamatic Faliure

Post by JonQAdams » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:38 pm

On my 55 Packard Patrician equipped with Easamatic brakes .... after years of not being driven the brakes no longer function properly. Is there any hope to rebuild the master cylindar / booster which is a combined unit? Is it better to try to buy a new or rebuilt one? Are parts availabel to rebuild the unit and if so is it safe to do so?

Dave Czirr

Re: 56 Packard - Easamatic Faliure

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:42 am

Hi Jon: Welcome to the forum and we hope to hear more from you about your Packard as time goes by.

Yes, most (but not all) parts to rebuild your Bendix TreadleVac (a/k/a Easamatic) are available. Kanter sells a kit with the needed vacuum section parts and some of the hydraulic parts. They also separately sell repro pistons in stainless steel should you need one. But there are some parts that are available only to the professional rebuilders who have them made for their internal use - especially the critical compensator valve and spring. If you decide to go ahead and rebuild it yourself I'd avoid those ancient NOS kits you'll occasionally find available - the parts after more than a half-century of storage are of dubious value at best - go for fresh kits.

Lot's of folks have successfully rebuilt their own units so if you're mechanically handy, you might give it a go. Personally I've chosen to have mine done by a professional rebuilder and you can also buy rebuilt units from any of the major Packard vendors like Kanters, Max Merritt, etc. Which way to go may depend on the condition of your existing unit.

Ross Miller has produced a nice little "show & tell" of how to do this, I'll attach a link to that if I can find it.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... le.php?404

Dave

Randy Berger

Post by Randy Berger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 am

Jon, if you are mechanically inclined, you can repair the unit yourself. If you have any doubts about your ability to do the job, then please have it rebuilt by a professional.
The article by Ross Miller is excellent - I printed it so I could have the copy in front of me as I worked on the unit.
The brakes are the MOST important part of your vehicle. You have to be sure you are going to stop BEFORE you can go. That was my Grandpap's sage advice.
I personally would use Kanter brothers, even though they are a little more expensive, the quality is there.
I just tore apart a unit rebuilt by Ed Strain in Florida and the workmanship was very shoddy, using wrong screws, warped castings etc.
I rebuilt it my self.
Just my personal opinion.
Randy Berger

JonQAdams

Post by JonQAdams » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks for the good advice and insight. And your right .... job #1 is to get the brakes working.