E-Brake question on a '49 Deluxe 8

Discussions related to braking systems.
N.C.23rdPackard

E-Brake question on a '49 Deluxe 8

Post by N.C.23rdPackard » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:11 am

Sooo, I should probably have cleared this up BEFORE I drove around town for two days but I was so excited that she was running that I took her for a spin! I do not feel any drag when I coast but I am thinking by looking at the ergonomics of the handle that it is supposed to be down when not engaged. Either way the trigger on the back of the handle does not seem to do anything and I can not get the handle to go any higher up OR down. The brakes are damn near non exsistant right now and I REALLy should not have been driving it like that but I just planned ahead and used those duel train horns liberally! :o It feels like the front left sees most of what little breaking action there is, which would make sense since it is the closest to the master cylinder. I will check the fluid in it when I go out there in a minute. I did not hear ant dragging, or smell any brake fires sooo after the fluid level what do I need to look at next to help you guys diagnose it? Thanks, Steve

Dave Czirr

Re: E-Brake question on a '49 Deluxe 8

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:22 am

It feels like the front left sees most of what little breaking action there is, which would make sense since it is the closest to the master cylinder.

Not true. Hydraulic pressure is equal at all points in the system so if there is a difference in braking at one wheel, it's due to differences within the brake parts at the individual wheels.

I would never drive a car with questionable brakes. Sitting for a few years probably means that the hydraulic system has begun to fail, leaking wheel cylinders, corrosion inthe master cylinder, etc. Time to pull all the drums and give the brake system a very thorough examination. You'll need a special puller to get the rear drums off, you'll find that discussed in other posts here. With the drums off for a brake inspection, it's a good time to clean, inspect and repack the wheel bearings and possibly replace the seals. With the rear drums off, you may get some insight into your parking brake problem. If you've never done a brake job on drum brakes, best to find someone who has to guide you. All the needed brake parts are available easily.

N.C.23rdPackard

Re: E-Brake question on a '49 Deluxe 8

Post by N.C.23rdPackard » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:21 am

Good to know, I am messing with the "go parts" right now but I will read up on the "stop parts" and get back to you. Also I do not make it a habit of riding around with suspect brakes but I wanted to make sure I didn't have some rag, basket cast before I put my blood, sweat, tears, WALLET in to it. Well she rides like if you installed my couch in my wife's Escalade!!! So here we go! :mrgreen: