anyone have rear brake drum puller near HR, VA

Discussions related to braking systems.
jondearmond

anyone have rear brake drum puller near HR, VA

Post by jondearmond » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm

anyone near hampton roads, VA with one of these pullers?

Dave Czirr

Re: anyone have rear brake drum puller near HR, VA

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:17 am

You're a bit too far away from me, but I've heard of quite a few folks who have been able to rent one from places like Taylor's Rental. They're fairly expensive new, about $140 from MSC. See this post for a picture of one of the better designs:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 am

I got tired of renting and purchased one off e-bay. Chinese manufacture I suppose, but readily available for $60-$70. Mine worked very well. Enter "brake drum puller" in ebay category "Automotive Tools" and you'll get lots of sellers.

jondearmond

Post by jondearmond » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks guys. I checked MSC and they are selling for $260. For how often I plan on pulling the brake drum I think I'm going to try one of those ebay ones...

norontcan

Post by norontcan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I made my own from a piece of 1/2" steel plate and 4 bolts. And then lost it when I moved. I can walk you through how to make one.
Here in Canada, Canadian Tire Stores have a tool lender program. You pick out the tool you need put it on your credit card, use it, then within 3 days return it and your card is credited for the original amount. Net cost zero$. As there is a store just down the street this whole process takes about 1 hour each spring when I pull the rear wheels.
Does Pep Boys, or any other US auto parts store have a loaner program? You may have to ask as it may not be something they advertise.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:59 am

I can't say whether or not this unit (the upper one, not the axle flange puller) is the same quality as the MSC unit, but drum pullers can be found new for less than $260.
Attachments
Drum and axle pullers.JPG

jondearmond

Post by jondearmond » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:20 pm

I brake checked a guy riding my bumper on the far right lane at midnight on the interstate and now my whole car vibrates when I brake... I think the problem is in the rear and because I am not comfortable driving the car, I just purchased a puller off ebay for $60 ($72 with shipping). It came in a very nice carrying case and I'm sure it will get the job done.