Hand brake lever pawl

Discussions related to braking systems.
jacko

Hand brake lever pawl

Post by jacko » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Gentlemen, I have a 1933 model 1002 with an emergency brake lever whose spring loaded pawl is stuck in the lever slot. I have tried many things to free it but it appears someone years ago used a cold chisel on it and probably compressed the pawl slot. I need to remove the lever in order to fix it. I am curious if anyone has ever removed the lever. It appears after examining the engineering drawings in the parts book and the actual hardware under the car that I will have to remove the brake pedal shaft which is a major disassembly. It appears the floorboard will have to come out first and hopefully the other piece parts will come out without too much heartburn. Has anybody traveled this road before and can give me courage to proceed?

Thanks, Bob Jacko

Dave Czirr

Re: Hand brake lever pawl

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Bob, many years back the pawl was stuck on my 34 Eight which I believe is practically identical to yours. First I noticed the handle well had filled over the years with a collection of dust, dirt and debris, so I used an ice pick and a vacuum to get all the crap out of the well. Then all I did was to unscrew the release button and thread on a little tool to the rod to pull the pawl and rod up and down to free it. After that a bit of lubrication and it has never given me a bit of trouble since. The tool was nothing more than a nut of the appropriate thread to mate with threaded rod, and which was brazed to a "T" handle to give a bit of leverage. BTW the pawl is extremely hard steel, unlikely it's been deformed.

jacko

Post by jacko » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Dave, I have done all those things you mentioned but from inspection of the slot in the lever it is obvious that someone at sometime used a cold chisel perhaps to try and unfreeze a rusted pawl. The cold chisel put deep cuts in the casting of the leverslot and can be seen when the sheet metal cover below the lever on the outside of the frame rail is removed. The emergency brake lever cannot be slid outboard enough on the brake and clutch pedal shaft to free it from the shaft. The emergency brake works fine but will not hold on its own. At Branson a few weeks ago I brought along wheel chocks whenever I had to park on an incline. By the way, the 33 ran beautifully doing four road tours even with a full passenger load, full fuel, the hills of Branson and an ambient temperature of 95 to 99 degrees. It was a great week!

Bob Jacko

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 am

Bob, did you ever get your parking brake situation resolved?

jacko

Post by jacko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 am

Dave, No, I never did get my parking brake resolved. It works so I can use it on hills but just cannot lock it when parked. I have already tried some of the easier solutions but the casting is distorted by someone using a cold-chisel on it years ago. I have studied the engineering drawings and it appears that I would have to disassemble the clutch and brake shaft connection points on the frame in order to get at it. I don't want to take off the running board. Some day when I feel really energized, I may dig into it.

Bob