Radial Tires for a 1949 Model 2362

Discussions related to braking systems.
Prudence

Radial Tires for a 1949 Model 2362

Post by Prudence » Fri May 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Good afternoon once again...

We would like to purchase Radial Tires for 'Miss Prudence' for driving in the hot south west. Our usual tire shop has recommended Cooper P235/70R15/SL Cobra Radial G/T Tires. We are wondering if other members have put Radials on their 23rd Series Packards and what sizes/brands they have used and if they have been happy with their selections?

Thanks, Ernie

JD in KC

Re: Radial Tires for a 1949 Model 2362

Post by JD in KC » Fri May 30, 2014 2:07 pm

I put radials on my '50 Custom. I am very happy with them. I purchased them from Diamond Back (they have 3 1/2 inch whitewalls). They weren't cheap.
Radial tires do (in my experience) improve handling at speed. On the other hand...

Steering when the car is not at speed is more difficult.
They don't look right. I understand that there is a new profile available that mimics the old bias-ply more closely. I haven't personally seen it.
Make sure the tires being offered don't have raised white lettering. That would look terrible (just my opinion). These cars look very nice with plain black walls.
I am not into having my cars judged so I'm not sure, but I believe there is a penalty for radials if that means anything to you.
You may find the radial tire to be a very tight fit in the trunk spare tire well assuming you are getting all 5 tires.

Dave Czirr

Re: Radial Tires for a 1949 Model 2362

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm

And please, DO NOT get 235/70R15, that's a low profile tire and too wide for the rear wheel wells, plus it will create a quite large error in your speedometer. The nearest radial to your original tire size (7.60 x 15) is 225/75R15. And if you're sold on radials (which I'm not a fan of for most collector cars that arent' driven at least a couple of thousand miles a year) you might want to look into the new type tire JD in KC speaks of, I understand it is a radial made to the profile and sizing of a bias ply - I don't know if they make it an equivalent to 7.60x15 but you might want to check that out. Remember, bias ply tires, if not worn out by mileage, usually have a carcass life of 20 years or or more but radials should really be replaced every 8 or so years even if they have good tread remaining. Factor into your decision process how many annual miles and what types of driving you'll be doing before you make your decision on radials versus bias-ply.