Stainless steal sleeve for master cylinder.

Discussions related to braking systems.
vajonbear

Stainless steal sleeve for master cylinder.

Post by vajonbear » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:11 am

I am having my master cylinder redone on my 1955 Packard Clipper. A friend said I should have a stainless sleeve put on so it will not rust. I mechanic said he wouldn't recommend that. is this true. Please give me your feed back on this subject.

Dave Czirr

Re: Stainless steal sleeve for master cylinder.

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:19 am

Power brakes or manual brakes?

If non-power, sleeving the master if it's pitted or otherwise in poor shape is a very common, nearly standard operation to restore the bore; probably tens of thousands of masters have been resleeved. If the bore is in good condition then just a light hone job without sleeving is all that's required.

If power brakes, they don't have a conventional bore, the item that may pit and wear n addition of the seals is the piston and new ones are available in stainless steel from Kanter Auto Parts. But unless you're really knowledgeable and skilled with that unit (a Bendix TreadleVac), best to send it to a professional rebuilder for that type of unit, or buy a rebuilt unit on an exchange basis from one of the national Packard vendors.

vajonbear

Re: Stainless steal sleeve for master cylinder.

Post by vajonbear » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 pm

Thank you sir. They are power brakes. I will look into it further. What city do you reside in NJ? I used to live there.