'49 Packard Master Cylinder Distribution Block

Discussions related to braking systems.
Tinman_70

'49 Packard Master Cylinder Distribution Block

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:22 am

When I removed the old master cylinder from the car I noticed that there was only one copper seal between the master cylinder and the distribution block. Normally brake systems with bolted-on distribution blocks or "Banjo-type" fittings have copper sealing gaskets on both sides of the block or fitting. I'm not sure if this was by design or someone simply left off the second seal. I measured the bolt and found that it would take 2 different sizes of seal. Scanning the comprehensive NAPA parts listing, I found the 2 seals that would be an exact fit. The one between the distribution block and the master cylinder is #1245 and the one to fit between the block and the head of the bolt that secures the block is #1246.

I'm planning to use both seals but I'm wondering if the original master cylinder did not have 2 seals.
P7141575.jpg
#1246 on the left and #1245 on the right
P7141576.jpg
I bought extras at only $.63 each
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Howard56

Re: '49 Packard Master Cylinder Distribution Block

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 am

It should have had both seals & surprised there was not a huge leak with only the one copper. Any damage to the brass block sealing surface by being squeezed up against the steel or iron? If so you might try early 50s Ford truck vendors. 47 Custom uses a different one than yours but I found one for mine and there were several styles offered.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:40 am

I'm sure it was leaking. The head of the bolt had some corrosion. The front of the block and the seal surface of the bolt were fine. I'll watch it closely for leaks.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:27 am

It definitely needs both copper washers and I am sure it will seal perfectly. It was sheer luck if it did not leak with just one.

I can`t wait to see the car back together.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

wdcarmichaeljr

Post by wdcarmichaeljr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:16 am

Master Cylinder Splitter #1.jpg
I have a 1949 Packard 2262-9 with 15K original miles. In replacing the master cylinder, my mechanic stripped the threads in my master cylinder distribution block. I haven't been able to find one to replace my original block. I did find a 1/2" thick three port block but it will not work on my car; it requires the 5/8" three port block that has larger brake line bores. I'll try to upload some pictures to illustrate. I've been looking now for over two years for this part to no avail...any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Have you contacted Kanters, they advertise at the top of this page? They are likely to have one. Or Max Merritt.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:08 pm

The blocks were the same from 41 thru 54 on some chassis but there were three used depending on chassis. I don't know all the differences unless it was where the brake light switch mounts and after 51, the size of the tubing. Senior cars pre 51 used one with two outlets and the brake light switch was threaded into a port at the end of the bolt. Your brake light switch looks to be off a port on the block so that may be the difference on your 2262 which is on the 2211 chassis. That needs part number 373398 which was used on some models thru 54.

If Kanter or Max can't help you might try some of the vintage 40's Ford or Chevy vendors. I found a perfect match for my 47 senior 2 port block at one of them. It was bought via ebay in 2013 but unfortunately ebay doesn't keep order history that far back. I can't refresh the memory or remember if it was a Ford or Chevy part but a different Ford or Chevy model might have used the same one your car needs. To have the 1/4" tubing and larger ports, it would most likely need to be pre 51 or a pickup part.