Brake Job on '37 1507

Discussions related to braking systems.
bluecollarbill

Brake Job on '37 1507

Post by bluecollarbill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 pm

I suspect I am going to need to perform a complete brake job on this car - shoes and wheel cylinders seem definite - possibly master cylinder as well. I have done plenty of brake work in the past - but never on a Packard 12. Any tips or tricks that might be helpful in attacking this job and which might save time and/or aggravation that you could share with a Packard novice would be most appreciated.

Dave Czirr

Re: Brake Job on '37 1507

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 am

Bill, as you say you've done plenty of brake work in the past, I doubt you'll have any trouble with the Twelve brake system, it's just a simple, standard Bendix self-energizing drum brake setup like many cars used up until disc brakes became commonplace, except for the fact that the power booster is not intergral with the master cylinder but a separate unit operating via a mechanical link. If needed, booster internal parts are probably available from Classic & Exotic. Adjustments are via an eccentric anchor post and the normal star-wheel and instructions for major and minor adjustments are covered in the shop manual and perhaps in Motors Manuals of the era, but in any case they are intuitive to anyone whose done much brake work before. I'm not current with the parts situations but would expect the only possible area of dificulty might be new wheel cylinders but of course they can simply be rebuilt or if badly worn, sleeved. Kanters would be my choice for brake parts.

If you have any particular problems after you get started, by all means let us know.

bluecollarbill

Post by bluecollarbill » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Dave

Thanks very much for the insight on the '37 Packard brake system. I was hoping that since it was the first year that it would be fairly simple - sounds like it should manageable.

Thanks again

Bill Stanley in CT

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

You will, of course, need a hub puller for the rear drums. Something that has been discussed at length on this forum before. :D

It is a personal thing, but I would always rebuild the master cylinder if you are doing the wheel cylinders. So often the M/cyl starts to leak after being pushed full travel to bleed the brakes, or you are left with a creeping pedal. And it is such an important safety item on the road.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.