Rear Brake Drum Removal

Discussions related to braking systems.
40clubcoupe

Re: Rear Brake Drum Removal

Post by 40clubcoupe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 am

I meant to say tool "hoarder". :oops: I unfortunately used a completely incorrect term in my post. As a tool hoarder, I like to have quality useful tools at hand when needed, like to clean them, like to organize them in the toolboxes, like to look for more at car shows, etc. Doing a job without the appropriate tool is frustrating to me.
Anyway, like Dave's offer to loan the appropriate puller needed to jonQAdams, I will offer the same if you're anywhere close to VA. They are very heavy, but USPS Flat-rate Large box shipping is an alternative and a wonderful deal too.

40ClubCoupe

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 am

I quite enjoyed the concept of a "tool whore"....The mind boggles. :D :D

For future reference, you can, of course, edit your previous posts if you make a mistake. ;)

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:48 am

This drum removal is one of the most "fun-est" things I ever tried. This was on a '37 Plymouth; but the
set-up was identical to this. I wound it & lubed it & wound it and wound it up again-just a little at a time.
This went on for days & days--I often left the "pull" on it tight when I left it. After much too long(weeks)
it went BANG suddenly and I thought the hub had split down the middle from the noise. Nope-- it broke free
without damage to the key or keyway. After brake service it maybe took 3 minutes to reinstall. Brakes worked
fine. I doubt it had been off in 50 yrs or ever.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm

That sounds familiar. That is how they go. I have a puller which is hydraulic and applies about 5 tonnes of force and still I have needed to heat the outside of the taper with the oxy-acetelene to get it to move. Once it launched the drum across the shed. Now I always keep the half-shaft nut in place to catch the drum.

As you say, I quick clean up with wet or dry paper and it is ready to go back.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Kip56Pack

Post by Kip56Pack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:23 am

I will need to pull my rear drums off soon to investigate a braking issue on my 56 Packard 400. Right rear brake is locking up with minimal pressure applied to brakes. I noticed the below comment on this post from a few years back:

"The type of construction you see is typical of Packards from 1955 and back,"

Is there a significant departure from removing the rear brake drum with a drum puller as described in this post for the 1956 cars?

Thanks,
Robert.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:56 am

No wheel puller required for 1956 Packard rear axles, they went to a Dana rear end in 1956; the need for a wheel puller refers to 1955 and prior. Just remove the lug nuts and the wheel, and you should be able to just pull the drum off with your fingers. If not, you may have to relax the shoe adjustment a few clicks. Pulling could be several things, among them a leaking wheel cylinder.

Kip56Pack

Post by Kip56Pack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

Thank you Dave. I really appreciate your reply. I do believe you are correct on the leaking wheel cylinder as well. I will report back once I get into it.

Best regards,
Robert.