brake parts source, 1950 2362

Discussions related to braking systems.
bigwingnut

brake parts source, 1950 2362

Post by bigwingnut » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:49 am

Guys, I've got a 1950 2362 and have been working on the brakes. I've replaced the master cylinder, all wheel cylinders, shoes, small parts kit, turned the drums, replaced all flexible lines with new and installed new stainless hard lines from Kanter. I've got a leak where the hard lines go into the brass fitting on the front of the master cylinder, looks like the threads are stretched where right front hard pipe connects. I've tried all the usual suspects (Kanter, Max Merritt, Tucson) looking for 373398 master cylinder outlet connection and 393697 master cylinder connection bolt, but no luck. Anybody out there in Packard Land got any sources I've missed? Thanks!

Hank Davis
bigwingnut@aol.com

Dave Czirr

Re: brake parts source, 1950 2362

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:54 am

Glad to see you're doing a comprehensive brake job!

I don't know about sources for the parts you listed but are you sure you didn't forget the two copper crush washers on either side of the block (standard practice for such fittings, see the illustration in the parts book)?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:40 pm

You might try some of the Ford places. I had the same problem on my 47 with the stainless Kanter supplied tubing. Mine is the two outlet port fitting and I wound up replacing it with a Ford item. Only difference was the output tube angles were slightly different than Packards so I had to bend the tubing to match. I also bought the steel bolt and washers to complete the install and all fit perfectly. Here is the fitting I used from a different vendor. The place I bought from is out of stock. http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product ... edaffc28f2 If you need the three port fitting I think those are also the same as Packard used but cannot verify for certain. Here is the three port fitting. http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product ... ts_id/3043 As mentioned I can't verify the 3 port will work so it might be worth an inquiry to make sure the tubing size is the same. I don't know if your brake light switch fits one of the outlet port spaces or if it is on the end of the steel bolt like mine. That might be another question to ask if yours fits on the fitting.

Dave makes a very valid point about the copper washers. Kanter does not send new washers -- or at least he didn't include any new when I bought my master and the deluxe brake cylinder kit -- so you will have to either request them separately or provide your own. My old ones were so scarred and work hardened it was impossible to get a decent seal.

bigwingnut

Post by bigwingnut » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks Dave! Dear old Grampa told me once "If you engine doesn't work, you've got a problem. If your brakes don't work, EVERYBODY's got
a problem!" After looking at the line and connector with a magnifying glass, it looks like the flare on the new line doesn't meet the bottom of the 45degree mating surface in the connector. In my effort to make the leak stop, I kept cranking more torque on the union until I stretched the threads. If I can round up some Prussian Blue I'll see if the problem is with the connector or with the brake line before I reinstall eveything.
J. Ulrich had one and is sending it to me. I hope he has solved my problem, and I promise not to mess it up this time!

Many thanks to those of you who offered help and advice.