Is a wilwood disc brake swap on a 37 120 worth doing?

Discussions related to braking systems.
Willie35packard

Is a wilwood disc brake swap on a 37 120 worth doing?

Post by Willie35packard » Mon May 16, 2016 5:11 pm

I am restoring a 1937 Packard 120 Sedan. I will be rebuilding the entire brake system and am considering a wilwood disc brake conversion. Have any of you done this to your older packard? It looks like the kit is $950.

Thank you,
Willie
Attachments
image.jpeg
(81.3 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times

Howard56

Re: Is a wilwood disc brake swap on a 37 120 worth doing?

Post by Howard56 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:45 pm

You might ask your question again at http://www.packardinfo.com in case a poster doesn't visit this forum or misses your question. There have been conversions to discs made and I am fairly sure I remember at least one poster at packardinfo saying a conversion was done using the Wilwood kit. There was also at least one using a Kanter kit. A later model was done using locally sourced parts. Don't remember the years on either kit conversion.

Willie35packard

Post by Willie35packard » Mon May 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Ok, I'll check over there too. I didn't know Kanter had a kit.

Thanks,
Willie

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:56 am

This is not meant as a criticism, but do you really need disc brakes? If the original brakes are correctly overhauled they work fine for a defensively driven collector car and give the true 'old car' experience.

It is your car, so do as you wish, but overhauling the existing brakes will be easier and cheaper than the conversion, although I understand if you enjoy the project.

Do bare in mind that a different master cylinder will be necessary as the fluid transfer requirement is probably different. A change to a diagonal split system might be wise, using a tandem master cylinder, and a vacuum booster will most likely be necessary as there is no 'self-servo' effect on disc brakes. All of this may be included in the kit, I have never checked.

Nice car, by the way!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.