2106 wheel cylinder numbers

Discussions related to braking systems.
lc3packs

2106 wheel cylinder numbers

Post by lc3packs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:02 am

I need to replace wheel cylinders on our '47 Clipper. I have been told they can often be found at NAPA or O'Reilly but you need an EIS or other brand number. Also, been told they are the same as some early Fords. Does anyone have the numbers for front and back. If not , I will go ahead and break it down and take the old with me but it would be nice just to remove and install at the same time. There are numbers in the Clipper parts book but they are Packard numbers and I don't think that is much help. Thanks.

Dave Czirr

Re: 2106 wheel cylinder numbers

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 am

From old Wagner catalog.
Attachments
Wagner 42-52 pg1.jpg

lc3packs

Post by lc3packs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 am

Thanks, Dave. That is a big help. I will try locally with those numbers. I am sure those are obsolete but they might have cross-over numbers. Tommy

lc3packs

Post by lc3packs » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:40 am

I took the numbers for the wheel cylinders from the Wagner catalog Dave gave me. Spent 45 minutes at my local NAPA store and they could not find anything to cross reference them with. I then came home and entered the same numbers on the Wagner site - their computer responded numbers could not be found. Anyone found the 4 wheel cylinders locally for a 1947 2106 and do you have the numbers and brand? Thanks, Tommy

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:56 am

I don't know if you will find any modern exact drops ins other than the cylinders Kanter has had repro'd. I can vouch for those being direct replacements but definitely more expensive than the local parts store. Having said that, there are a couple of modern cylinders that others have used which are slightly larger than the originals.

Rears are a proven replacement and are listed on the packardinfo xref as fitting a 48. From what little I find in 47 documentation and with actual measurement on my old cylinders, the 47 Custom rears use the same 15/16 bore size as the particular model 48 the poster was working on. The replacement is a 1" and needs an adapter for the larger line but does bolt in.

Front replacements are more of an unknown. From what I find in documentation and measurement the stock 47 size was 1". One set of modern numbers given have a 1 1/8 bore which is much larger than stock. The fitting size looks like it should work with stock lines. The person who originally posted the numbers said they worked but did not give any further details as to if an adapter was needed or what if any modification or hole enlargement was needed on the backing plate. I will throw the numbers out with the understanding I do not have first hand experience with them nor have any others confirmed they work. Checking NAPA yesterday to see if they were still available, I notice the price has dropped considerably since I first collected the information from the post. The second front set is listed in the xref as working on a junior model but being the 47 Custom had 1" bores, the size at 1 1/16 is still larger than stock. NAPA still has them but they are up there close to Kanters in price. They also look to need an adapter. Again, no info as to if they will directly bolt on the 47 senior backing plate.

If you decide to try either of the fronts it would be appreciated if you would let us know your findings -- even more so if you do find something closer to the originals. If the larger fronts and the 1" rears bolt on without issue at least that would give a slight upgrade to stock brakes.
Attachments
rear.jpg
Front_1.jpg
front_2.jpg

lc3packs

Post by lc3packs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks, I need to think about it a while. By the time I modify fittings etc. I may just buy the reproductions.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:11 am

Just my opinion, but changing bore diameters of wheel cylinders front or rear from the originals will change the relative ratio of braking force between the front and rear axles. With a savings of only a few dollars in play, I wouldn't be one to alter what the factory decided was the proper balance of braking forces.