Easamatic brake fluid reservoir.

Discussions related to braking systems.
Kipperfillets

Easamatic brake fluid reservoir.

Post by Kipperfillets » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:20 am

I have just found where the fluid reservoir is on my 55 Patrician as I wanted to check the fluid level.I have a pit in my garage and got underneath the car to locate it. For those who don't know where it is, it is underneath the steering column and whilst I could feel the lug nut on top of the reservoir from underneath, it was not possible to get a spanner on it from there and it would not be possible to see inside or top it up from below.
If you remove the fresh air trunking from the drivers side inner fender and also the windshield washer bottle and cradle, you can see the lug nut if you stand on a box and lean in over the fender. I was then able to get an open ended 3/4" spanner on the lug nut by putting the spanner on from the fender side and feeding it in between the various wires from the loom in that area. Once the lug nut was loose I unscrewed it by hand to look inside the reservoir.
There was approx an inch of fluid inside it. Can anyone tell me if the fluid should be right up to the top of the reservoir, or if the level in mine is sufficient? I have a small oil can with a long spout on it which will be ideal to top it up with when required. Many thanks.

pacdoc1956

Re: Easamatic brake fluid reservoir.

Post by pacdoc1956 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:07 am

I always try to keep my reservoir full, which is close to the top. You might want to keep an eye on the fluid level to make sure you aren't losing it due to an internal leak withing the treadle vac unit.
Donald

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:43 am

I do hope you are going to get a new oil can and not try to use an old one. I just don't have faith all of the previous oil in the can or pump could be completely removed and not contaminate the brake fluid. The point about keeping an eye on the fluid level is very good advice -- more so if the BTV has been sitting or is not used for long stretches of time.

Most of the time the reservoir can be accessed without removing anything but it does require someone of normal height standing on a small stool leaning way over the fender. Sometimes almost climbing into the engine compartment. For those with V8s and factory air it is a bigger challenge and those cars almost do require removal of some item to even see the reservoir -- let alone reach it and pour fluid in.

For your situation you might investigate a remote fill reservoir you can mount on the firewall or inner fender. There are various aftermarket units available that work well. Some available online are plastic and kind of cheap looking that do tend to stick out but others are well made metal containers and don't look out of place -- particularly if they were available or even refinished in a dark color appropriate for the time. A fellow in one of the regions was selling a particularly nice unit that has a cap that fits the Packard unit. Perhaps someone will know if he is still selling the item or have contact information.

There was hope a few years ago that the original Packard item would be repro'd but that doesn't appear to have happened. Too bad because I think it might be a nice project for a region or even a vendor.

Kipperfillets

Post by Kipperfillets » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:33 am

Many thanks for the advice. Yes, my oil can was a new one and I only use it for brake fluid top ups. I also have a 47 Hudson with an awkward to reach master cylinder and I bought for that but can also use it on the Patrician. A remote fill device is a good idea and I will see what I can find on the web.Many thanks.