53 Clipper Strange Brake problem

Discussions related to braking systems.
MrLubomirof

53 Clipper Strange Brake problem

Post by MrLubomirof » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Thanks thus far for the super fast responses to my previous queries. It's so useful to have this resource and i'm very appreciative :D

So, my lovely Clipper has an interesting problem.

When the brakes are cold, the thing pulls up just fine. When the brakes get hot, i.e. after 3 stops or so, the thing pulls hard left something fierce.

I've taken the drums off, the shoes look fine on both sides, both wheel cylinders are fine, and the drums look fine from what i can tell.

Any ideas on what would be causing this, and how to troubleshoot/remediate the issue?

Thanks!
Nick

MrLubomirof

Re: 53 Clipper Strange Brake problem

Post by MrLubomirof » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Oh and i do not have the power brakes.

Thanks!

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:41 am

I would be wondering if you have had a leaking grease seal at one time and the linings on one wheel might have been subject to some grease or other contamination getting on them. If no sign of that are the linings the same side to side or did possibly one side get changed out with a different material. Are the drums the same size or did one side get changed or was damaged and turned so now one is a slightly different diameter than the other and expansion is different. Same with the retracting springs.

Are the hoses in good condition or could heat be affecting one side more than the other so one side moves the shoes faster than the other.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 am

Howard beat me to it this time!

I would agree with all of his suggestions. The linings may be causing the problem simply because they are old, or contaminated in some way. Or the drums if they are not a matched pair (matched in terms of diameter and surface condition).

One other thought is the potential for one of your front flexible hoses to be perished. It is possible for them to swell internally and cause a restriction that would limit the fluid pressure transfer. In this situation, the bad hose would be on the opposite side to the way the brakes are grabbing. Look very carefully at the condition of the hoses. If they are old, cracked, perished or just a bit scabby (technical term), replace all three. You will make a brake fluid change as part of the process too.

If you end up bleeding the system, it would be wise to consider rebuilding the master cylinder. If the seals are old, moving them full travel whilst bleeding brakes can cause a leak. This coupled with the fact that you do not have a diagonal split system, means that the single master cylinder is your entire braking system. Unless you know it to be good, please rebuild it. The hobby does not need the bad press of an accident caused by brake failure. (Sorry, but that is one of my soapbox subjects. It is not meant to be a criticism aimed at you, but a message that I think it is important to spread).

Hope this helps.
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

MrLubomirof

Post by MrLubomirof » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 am

Thanks Howard!
The lines look fine, but I don't know the recent history of the car, so I'm not sure whether the previous owner just changed one side. I'll change out the shoes on both sides, and if I have no joy I'll change out both drums.

Thanks again much appreciated!

MrLubomirof

Post by MrLubomirof » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:48 am

Thanks Adam!

I actually just changed the master cylinder as it was leaking. So let's see how changing the shoes goes! Will keep you all posted!

Thanks all much appreciated!

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:54 am

Excellent. One additional thought I just had was to try swapping the shoes from one side to the other, it sometimes cures a grabbing problem. But if you have new linings on the way, that must be preferable.

Great looking car by the way. Thanks for posting photos.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.