1940 110

Discussions related to braking systems.
itdmachinist

1940 110

Post by itdmachinist » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 am

What is normal pedal feel for the subject line car?

Mine has full stop about half way. Not sure what I should be expecting.

New master cylinder, front wheel cylinders and front lines. The rest of the system has been bled and adjusted. Pedal free play also set per manual.

Another question I have is if the car sits a few days I get some noise until after a few stops. and the pedal does not feel as tight until after those stops. If I drive the car every day I have no issues. Seems to be worse the longer it sits but always come back to what I feel as acceptable after it is driven.

I need to check out the rear wheel cylinders, but other than that I do not have much experience with drums so am hoping to get advice on what I should be expecting for brake performance.

Thanks,
Brian

Howard56

Re: 1940 110

Post by Howard56 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Full brakes at around a third to half pedal is about what my 47 does with a new master and complete Kanter deluxe rebuild kit installed. The 47 setup is almost identical to your 40.

If it is a scraping noise it could be one of the shoes not retracting fully. If you have not checked or replaced the rear cylinders one of the pistons could have corroded and is not moving freely keeping a shoe out farther than it would normally be. Brakes are the typical Bendix free floating setup where the shoes have a slight amount of play until one end of a shoe hits the anchor pin and becomes fixed. When you reverse direction the shoes move the other way until the opposite shoe hits the anchor. It could also be the anchor pin is not adjusted properly and the shoes are not exactly centered. That would make one shoe almost touch the drum and the other be farther away. If the shoes were not arced to the drum (very few are these days) it could be enough to make a scraping noise until a bit of a wear pattern sets in as the shoe conforms to the drum diameter.

Not sure what to say about a different feel to the pedal unless a cylinder is stuck or otherwise acting up or there is still a tiny bit of air in a line.

Dave Czirr

Re: 1940 110

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:41 am

Driven sensibly, your brakes if properly maintained should be fully competent for today's driving experiences with the possible exception of driving in mountainous country with constant applications of the brakes where some fade could be anticipated. That said, with older vehicles it is always wise to leave a little extra space between vehicles and be a bit more vigilant.

The position of the pedal at which the brakes are fully applied is dependent on several variables but most significantly just by the brake shoe adjustment. The closer the shoes are adjusted to the drums, the less distance they have to move and hence the less distance the pedal has to travel to apply them. At that point the pedal should be rock-solid without further give or sponginess.