1935 120 rear brake drum removal

Discussions related to braking systems.
fredpack

1935 120 rear brake drum removal

Post by fredpack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am

I am working on my new to me 1935 Packard 120 and I can't get the rear brake drums off to inspect the brakes and replace one of the wheel cylinders. The shop manual says nothing about how to remove them. I have removed the cotter pin, nut and washer, soaked the spline with penetrating oil for over a week and beat on it with a small sledge hammer at least once every few days. I don't see any way to get a puller on the back side. Is there a special tool or do I need to take the torch to it?
I haven't started on the front brakes yet but am I going to run into the same thing up front? The man I bought it from did virtually no maintenance to the brakes over the 9 years he had it but he didn't drive it much either.

george56

Re: 1935 120 rear brake drum removal

Post by george56 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 am

The rear drums are pressed on and require some kind of puller.
I didn't have a puller, so I looped a chain under two lug nuts and
put a jack on the spindle nut, after backing it off. I then used the
jack to put pressure on the drum. One came right off,
the other took some time. The fronts are much easier and are
not pressed on.
If you use the search function on the top right of this page,
type in "brake drum removal" you will got many ideas on how to do it.
George

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am

The drum really isn't "pressed" on in the usual use of that word, it has a tapered hub and slides onto a tapered axle shaft, same drum arrangement as Chrysler, Ford, and many other cars of the era; you need a fairly common drum puller like the ones pictured below which you can buy, borrow, or rent. Don't forget to leave the axle nut on but loose so that when the drum comes free it doesn't fly across the room and hurt anyone or damage itself. When re-installing, the taper surfaces need to be clean and dry; typically the retaining nut is tightened to at about 250 ft-lbs.
Attachments
Herbrand 825 hub puller_0061.jpg
Rear Wheel bearings 001 sm.jpg

fredpack

Post by fredpack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks guys. I learn something every time I work on an old car. It's off to Nappa in the morning for a hub puller. Tonight I start on the front brakes.