1950 Packard emergency brake cable breakage

Discussions related to braking systems.
LoStreet

1950 Packard emergency brake cable breakage

Post by LoStreet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 pm

My emergency brake cable (actually, I believe the more correct term would be a 4-strand wire rope) broke just about 2 inches above where it comes out of the shielded cable housing (I believe that it is called BX cable) under the dash. I have thought about trying to splice this wire rope rather than replace the entire assembly. There are cable splices and also steel epoxies that should solidify the whole connection. Would this work, or is there any other way to repair the wire rope? Thanks.

Dave Czirr

Re: 1950 Packard emergency brake cable breakage

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:42 pm

I'd much rather see you install a new cable assembly rather than a goldberg job on something as important as a brake system part, if it's available. I'd check with Kanter Auto Parts, Max Merritt, and Patrician Industries.

LoStreet

Post by LoStreet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Dave, I certainly don't disagree with you, I'd rather do that, too. I couldn't find the exact parts on Kanter or OPG, but will try the others. But thinking more, I know basic 1/4" wire rope is readily available that is just like the broken piece, and the shielded cable is perfectly good, and the connections at the lever and the wheel need to be made anyway, even with the exact part. Would that be improvising too much in your opinion?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:24 am

Just so it's no less secure and reliable than the original assembly.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

Good Marine rigging cable should do the trick. Perhaps check with the Wooden Boat Store regarding a good supplier and rigger to duplicate your current cable. Ernie in Arizona ;)

LoStreet

Post by LoStreet » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Yes, Thanks Ernie, great minds think alike - that's exactly where I went and what I found. My only problem is that I don't have anyone to put it in. I'm an older guy, woulda done it myself 10 years ago, but don't have a lift and can't crawl under. My regular guy (sorta) is laid out and can't do it. I checked with one other, and his price was outrageous. Don't know what its like elsewhere, but in the East Bay across from San Francisco (2 million people), I'm running out of dependable classic car mechanics. I also found that the replacement cable that includes the shielded conduit is available and not all that expensive, but requires removal of the conduit through the firewall, thus a bigger deal. I don't want to Mickey Mouse it, but was just trying to make the job simpler (so someone wouldn't rob me blind) if I could.