Brake Master Cylinder Question

Discussions related to braking systems.
Dquale

Brake Master Cylinder Question

Post by Dquale » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 pm

I have a 1949 Super Eight Deluxe 2271-9. When trying to order brake parts online I am asked about the master cylinder and the two options on line to choose from are Delco or Bendix. Mine has Wagner - Lockheed on the side of it. Is this a 3rd type or does it fall under one of the others? Ordering preformed brake lines. Thanks.

Prudence

Re: Brake Master Cylinder Question

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:39 am

Good Morning...You might consider calling Kanter -800-526-1096 or Max Merritt 800-472-2573 as both are very helpful on the phone...too easy to make a mistake on line...Have a great Packard day. Ernie in Arizona ;)

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 am

I believe what is being referred to is the type of system. According to Motors Manual, there appear to be 5 basic hydraulic systems used over the years from the 30-50s with the Bendix and Lockheed being by far the most common and used by most mfgs. Even those systems have more than one implementation though with differences having to do with the way the shoes are mounted and anchored to the backing plate, the number of anchors and how the shoes are adjusted, and the placement and how the cylinders push on the shoes.

Packard used the Bendix system in mainly 2 versions with the late 30s Super Eights and Twelves using a third version. Difference is the anchor point and adjustment on those. Didn't see a mention of a Delco system but Chevy used one by Huck so maybe the Delco is what became of that one. There were also disc brake systems used mostly by Chrysler and then of course, Ford had theirs. The various components were most likely made by more than one mfg and could probably fit more than one system. That could be why you have a Wagner-Lockheed branded cylinder. Their system is similar to Bendix, just with different anchoring methods.
Last edited by Howard56 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dquale

Post by Dquale » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help. I did get to speak to some in person at Kanter, and they didn't think it would be an issue. I am doing a rebuild on the entire brake system. First of many projects on this car. It's still running, after this step I should be driving.