53 cavalier wheel cylinder

Discussions related to braking systems.
Coach Js

Re: 53 cavalier wheel cylinder

Post by Coach Js » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:12 am

Its not purple. Pretty colorless actually.

I was assuming the fluid was low because the pedal needs to be pressed very low to engage the brakes. However, the master cylinder is full. No fluid added

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 am

It's more likely the low pedal means the shoes need adjustment. The further the brake shoes have to travel before reaching the drum, the further the pedal must be pushed for that contact to occur. So, sounds like you need to adjust the brake shoe clearances. Simple job.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Thank you. I will look this up in the shop manual.

When I got the car, it looked like break fluid was leaking onto the shoes and causing them to seize on the left front wheel (only in reverse). However, there is no missing fluid in the master cylinder. And once you drove the car forward they freed right up anyway. I just found this mysterious. Maybe the shoes needing to be adjusted is what was causing this as well??

I've driven the car about 100 miles in the past couple days. I love it. And she's running great. Definitely needs some bushing up front, but, it'll all get done over time.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:18 pm

When there are indications of brake system problems, the car should NOT BE DRIVEN!!

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I will adjust them immediately

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:29 am

Apologies for sounding like an absolute killjoy, but it is really important, if you do not know the history of the brake system, to overhaul the complete system and particularly the mastercylinder. The system does not have a tandem master cylinder, nor diagonal split system like modern cars, meaning that, if the mastercylinder fails, or runs short of fluid, you will have no brakes at all. Just envisage the confidence and peace of mind that a fully reconditioned system will bring!
On a darker note, the hobby does not need the bad publicity that a nasty accident would bring, and attendant calls for bans on old vehicles.

There we are; my rant is over. But it is such an important area. :)

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.