'32 Brakes - Vacuum Assist on a 901

Discussions related to braking systems.
martysplace

'32 Brakes - Vacuum Assist on a 901

Post by martysplace » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 pm

I recently acquired a 901 that was mid-way through a frame off restoration. Most of the hardware on the frame is back on and the owner appears to have been doing a great job. However, I have not seen any hardware for a vacuum assist for the brakes. Did all 901 have this and does anyone have pictures on how it looks.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciate as it would be helpful in finding the parts in all of the boxes that I have.

Thanks Marty

Dave Czirr

Re: '32 Brakes - Vacuum Assist on a 901

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi Marty: The Bragg-Kliesrath (part of the Bendix Corp.) power brake booster system as used thru 1936 on the mechanical brake Packards was introduced in 1932 on the Twin Six and beginning with the 10th Series (1933) it was standard on Eights, Super Eights and Twelves. If you have a copy of the service letters for 1932/33, you'll find an entry as follows:

We have had a number of inquiries regarding the application of the Tenth Series brake "booster" to the earlier cars. When such an installation is desired by one of your customers, we suggest that the matter be handled through the nearest Bendix service station equipped to make the power brake installation.....

martysplace

Post by martysplace » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:43 am

Dave,

Thanks for the information. That explains it all. I remembered watching a video on the websome time ago where Jay Leno shows his ‘32 twin six and mentions the vacuum assist on it. Having just boxed everything up the previous owner (who passed away recently) had, I did not see any hardware for one.

Like most things in life this has its pluses and minuses. The plus is one less the figure out how to finishing putting it back together (would have been much easier if I had taken it apart). The minus is I’ll have to push harder to stop. The plus is stronger leg muscles . . . etc.

Again – Thanks and I really appreciate your help.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:17 am

It was not uncommon for owners to remove units like brake boosters when they failed in the past and parts were not easy to find. As you know, the brakes will work in exactly the same way. You just get a work-out for your right leg with the increased pedal pressure needed.

I had this experience with my 66 Sunbeam Tiger, where the vacuum booster had leaked and had been removed. With 4 wheel disc brakes, the pedal pressure needed was significant !! I have since fitted a new booster. With Drum brakes, the problem will be less severe on your 901. My father once owned a 1934 Buick which had the booster disconnected when it arrived. The brakes were still quite satisfactory. With it reconnected it would nearly stand on it`s nose.

I would suggest that you look for another booster, but do not let it hold up your restoration. You can manage quite well without it.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.