1940 1801-A FRONT BRAKES

Discussions related to braking systems.
Packard-Henney

1940 1801-A FRONT BRAKES

Post by Packard-Henney » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Guys: I have a 1940 1801-A Hearse that I want to be reliable for use as a funeral car. I have disassembled the front brakes and found a 1" wheel cyl. with an odd connection on the front brake hose. It has an adapter from the hose to the cyl with a copper washer from the adapter to the cyl. I bought NEW hoses and they are the same size as the hoses I took off. Do I have the WRONG wheel cyls? Or does a 40 use different hoses? THANKS! Mike

Adam

Re: 1940 1801-A FRONT BRAKES

Post by Adam » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:49 am

Mike

I am not sure of your specific car, but it may be that the adaptor you mention is fitted to ensure that the hose does not foul a steering arm or something similar, perhaps when on full lock? Could that be a possibility? Does the hearse use a wider wheel/tyre size than the saloon that necessitates some extra clearance?

I am not sure that this piece should be too much of a concern. Either re-use the adaptor, preferably with a new copper washer, or omit it, having satisfied yourself that this will not cause a problem with the reach of the hose. I suspect that it was put there for a reason, originally, so i would tend to retain it.

Is it possible to post a picture of the offending piece?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.