stop light switch

Discussions related to braking systems.
clbucks

stop light switch

Post by clbucks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Greetings, I have owned my 1932 Packard 902 about a year and am in the process of getting it ready for the road. One of the items not on the car is a stop light switch. So I don't even know what it looks like. Does any one have a picture of one; or a suggestion for a replacement part? I am not making a show car. My packard is going to be a driver, and as close to original in look and operation and still drive dependably. I like the blog thing and will be assembling some pictures and discussion as the progress occurs.
Thanks for your help. Curtis

John Harley

Re: stop light switch

Post by John Harley » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

clbucks

Dave Czirr, the moderator of this forum, had the good sense to take a cruise in the warm weather to get away from the excruciating weather. He'll be back this weekend. he is very familiar with this era Packard and will be able to tell you when he sees your question

Regards

John Harley

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Mr. Harley, thanks for chiming and keeping this topic live while I was away in the Caribbean, basking in the warm sun.

Curtis, I'm not absolutely positive about a 1932 model as I'm a bit unsure of the power brake booster arrangment, but this view from the 33-36 parts manual for Eights and Super Eights showns the linkage arrangement used with the Bragg-Kliesrath power brake booster system. In faint outline you can see the plunger-type brake switch clearly, just behind the power brake actuating valve.

I'd appreciate your coming back here and either confirming that it's locations is as shown for 1933-36, or tell us just where you did locate it - this would be helpful information to future readers.
Attachments
33-36 senior brake light switch.jpg

clbucks

Post by clbucks » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the drawing. It doesn't reflect my car at all. I recently bought a mechanical switch with a lever, thinking it would work. I'll take pictures of my installation when it's finished, but I know it will not really look like what the factory would have done. I still have no idea what the factory would have done, as no one has sent e pictures or drawings of the 1932 brake switch arrangement. Thanks again for your help.

packardroadsta

Post by packardroadsta » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 am

I think the brake light switch is the same for 1930-32. If that is true, then it is part of the brake pedal housing that is attached to the right side of the transmission. A picture of the switch can be seen here: http://packardpaddock.com/page2/page41/ ... _1918.html