Packard down on it's springs!

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Packard down on it's springs!

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 pm

The text below accompanied the photo. Anyone want to identify the car, a key to the model is the use of 7-lug wheels? Link to the website and photo provided by Gunther Hoyt.

In 2015, author Nichelle Gainer will release the second edition of her much-lauded coffee table book “Vintage Black Glamour” (Rocket 88 Books), which celebrates the glamour of early 20th century black women through hundreds of archived photographs that Gainer found over the course of 10 years of research. Its impending release comes at a time when a rising generation of black women filmmakers, writers, and directors, like Shonda Rhimes, Ava DuVernay, Mara Brock Akil, Issa Rae and others, has been instrumental in presenting the visual narrative of black women in front of and behind the lens.

In the center of documenting black beauty and glamour in its many forms throughout the early 20th century was the Scurlock Studio, the preeminent photo studio for Washington’s black community, headed by Addison Scurlock and his two sons, Robert and George.

The collection of images in the book “Picturing The Promise: Scurlock Studio and Black Washington” (Smithsonian Books, 2009) features some of the most impressive photographs of black life–men, women and girls–from the period. Scurlock Studio was astute at reflecting the crosssection of black glamour. Scurlock photographed black women and girls as they were: prosperous, carefree, elegant and fashionable in fur and sequins, nurturing and strong, and forever poised. They were singers, writers, soldiers, dancers, athletes, mothers. The images offer a range of black femininity and force at a time in history when their visual representation was extremely limited.
Attachments
Scurlock Studio.jpg

genehouse

Re: Packard down on it's springs!

Post by genehouse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Dave, thanks for the "heads up". since I teach at a predominately black college this will be an excellent book for my students to review. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:11 am

I am going to stick my neck out, and am willing to be corrected, but I would say it is a 5th series six.

Edited to say, that this has prompted me to consult my Packard books. I am now convinced that this is in fact, a seventh series Eight from about 1930, The combination of 7 lug wheels, the full chrome bumpers, louvred bonnet sides and moulding at the base of the windscreen clinch it for me.

What an intriguing photo!!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 am

Yep. Series 733 roadster.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c