1940 120 interior woodgrain question

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
dak955

1940 120 interior woodgrain question

Post by dak955 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello. Can someone verify what the correct woodgrain pattern is for the dashboard and garnish mouldings on a 1940 120? I believe the coupe I purchased has the original woodgrain on the dash which is a swirl type pattern but I think the garnish mouldings were redone which has more of a straight grain pattern. Also, is there a recommendation regarding someone that does this work? Thank you.

Dave Czirr

Re: 1940 120 interior woodgrain question

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm sure someone will come along with helpful information. In the interim please note I'll be moving your query to "Body, Trim and Paint" which will make it easier for future readers to find and follow.

dak955

Post by dak955 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Ok Thanks Dave.

chrislibby63

Post by chrislibby63 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:00 pm

I have a 1937 120C coupe convertible and would like to know what is/was the appropriate dashboard wood grain finish. Does the finish vary with the color of the car and along with that question is there a chart of leather colors that were used in different car paint colors?
I have removed all wiring, gauges, wiper motor from behind the dash. It's a bear and I have learned some lessons the hard way. eg. The dash wood grain center band will not come out without removing the throttle knob/assembly and the light switch. The heat gauge conductor from the engine to the gauge does not separate and must come out as a unit (I now need a new conductor). The throttle cable is a similar issue which caused me to remove all the firewall finish and insulation as the cables are clipped in place behind the insulation. The gauge cluster is held on with 4 bolts but the head of the bolts are hidden between the trim band and the dash structure so you need to somehow hold the slotted head in order o loosen the bolts. It is extremely helpful to take out the seat and the seat frame so you have a decent place to lay on your back.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 pm

To my knowledge just one standard woodgrain finish.

The Salesman's Data Book probably describes in words (no color illustrations) the available leather colors. You might also consider buying the standard restoration reference book on these junior cars, Darvin Kuehl's "The Production Packard 1935-1937 A Restoration Reference".

I'll look at my copy in the next few days and see what it says about leathers for the convertible. As to exterior colors, go back to our main website and then find the colors under thr Reference tab.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Per Kuehl's book, seat leather for the 120C convertible coupe:

Gray leather with paint schemes A, Y, and intro scheme S.
Tan leather with paint schemes G, P, and intro schemes K ans Z.
Blue leather with paint schemes B, L and intro scheme F.
Green leather with paint schemes H and J and intro scheme E.
Black leather with paint schemes T and X.
Red leather available in any paint scheme.

PS - just a note about courtesy, since your post was not a response to the original about 1940 woodgraining, you rely should have started your own post fro new rather than tag onto another on a entirely different su bject.

chrislibby63

Post by chrislibby63 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:34 am

Thank you Dave, very helpful! It was my first venture/post into the Forum so wasn't up to speed on the protocol.