How accurate are the NADA price guides?

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
lincolnmatthews

How accurate are the NADA price guides?

Post by lincolnmatthews » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:43 am

Just curious I'm thinking an old Packard around the 35-36 Senior Car. What are the opinions out there? High retail price would be for what a 95-100 pt car? Quite a diff between high & avg retail prices. I know a very nice car that has a nice original interior, clean engine bay, runs good & nice paint, etc. I'm sure would be "between the high & avg retail price's listed?. Thanks, I'm like most anybody buying an old car I want the price to be fair for both the seller & buyer.

Dave Czirr

Re: How accurate are the NADA price guides?

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Can't help with specifics but I'd say NADA Guidelines, as all other guidelines, are plus/minus 30% or more. And I'd expect a very large differential going from a 95 point car to a 100 point car, that last 5% is usually VERY costly to achieve.

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:12 am

I mostly agree with Dave except I usually expect the price to be about 33% LESS than the NADA Classic Guide suggests. Classic car values are still down in the USA and have not yet recovered to their previous highs. As the economy continues to improve, and increasing numbers of people get older and more interested in them, you can expect that to gradually change. This is based on the last 4 years of buying and selling cars as necessitated by economics. I am by no means an expert.
Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

BDC-TX

Post by BDC-TX » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:17 am

I think that NADA is fairly accurate when you try to get a value for let's say a 69 mustang, but for prewar low production cars it's a joke. For example:
A 36 Packard 120 coupe has a high value of $61k (55,000 120's produced over all body styles )
my 35 Cadillac V8 coupe (1 of 4 left), has a high value of $70k (2989 V8's produced over all body styles).