1940 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
theastronaut

Re: 1940 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration

Post by theastronaut » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Tinman_70 wrote:I just went back to your September 10, 2014 post to look at what you had started with. Great work! It's amazing to see how far this has come. Can't wait to see the finished product with some before and after comparisons.

Keep posting!

Joe
It's getting there, one piece at a time!

Adam wrote:I must agree with Joe. Fantastic work and fascinating to follow your progress. Please keep the story coming!!

I have done some floor and sill fabrication myself, but my efforts only serve to highlight the quality of what you are achieving.

Kind regards
Adam..
Appreciate the comment!

The rear fenderwell brace is finished. Made the edges fit together evenly, tacked it to hold the pieces in alignment, then welded it fully.

After smoothing the welds.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:16 am

John,

What gauge material are you using for this brace? Looks a little heavier that sheet metal.

I've tried the stacked disks on an air grinder to initially smooth a seam weld, works much better than a flat disk. Not as smooth as your work but better than my past work.

Joe
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:39 am

Tinman_70 wrote:John,

What gauge material are you using for this brace? Looks a little heavier that sheet metal.

I've tried the stacked disks on an air grinder to initially smooth a seam weld, works much better than a flat disk. Not as smooth as your work but better than my past work.

Joe
Joe, I used 18 gauge on the inner fender brace and most of the other parts (inner/outer rockers, A/B pillar skins, rear seat shelf, etc). The inner A-pillar post bottom was 16 gauge, and the outer sheetmetal parts like the quarters, cowl bottoms, and floor pans have been 20 gauge. The stacked discs really work well to keep from digging in as quickly (compared to a single disc) so you don't make low spot as easily.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:40 am

Started on the A-pillar cover, needs final trimming and matching the hole sizes still.

Also started on the B-pillar bottom.

I half-rounded the mating edges on both pieces and ground the edges for a tight gap. Then did a few tacks to keep it in alignment.

Inside view.

Instead of doing a tack at a time I did a series of tacks in a row, only slightly letting off the trigger between tacks and overlapping. Seemed to make a slightly shorter weld bead and good penetration.

After smoothing the welds.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:53 am

Roughed in the rockers, used the bead roller to make the curved 90* edges first. I need to smooth the sharp edges on the dies, they leave marks in the metal that I dont' like. It also distorts the edge some, requiring some time on the shrinker/stretcher to make the edge straight again.

Halves matched up and clamped in place.

Tacked together, then the seam was lightly planninshed on a T-post dolly to true the edges.

Fully welded/smoothed.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:00 am

I reworked the front of the rocker to fit the A-pillar this morning.

Initial fit:

Scribed, and trimmed to fit the shape of the hinge pillar.

Making paper templates.

New rocker end fabbed.

Fit, welded, and smoothed.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:25 am

I started fitting the middle and rear floor pan sections last week. The edges needed trimming, indentions were added for the body mount bolts/washers, the outside rear corner was trimmed to fit around the inner fenderwell, and I also started drilling for plug welds.

I also offset the end of the rocker to make the B-pillar bottom fit flush. This seam will be leaded over once it's welded in. With the rocker offset finished I can extend that end of the rocker rearward 8-10", and that will finish the rocker.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Been awhile since I updated this. Pretty much everything I've been doing lately is a copy of the other side so it was fairly boring/repetative. I didn't keep up with documenting this side as well as I did the first side since it's basically the same thing.

With most all of the new panel fabrication finished, I pulled everything back out to wash with PPG DX579 and DX520. This cleans any light surface/fingerprint rust off from handling the parts while their bare metal and preps them for epoxy. Forgot to get an after pic, this is before washing. The smaller parts were blasted before epoxy.

The center seam will be butt-welded down the length so it will apear as one piece. To butt-weld a seal like this it'll need to be plannished like I did the quarter panel seam to eliminate any distortion. I can't reach both sides so I'll need someone to hold the dolly on the other side. I marked both sides with the same layout so we can both stay in the same place.

I've started welding in the floors and inner rocker, same process as the other side.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:47 pm

I have the pans and inner rocker welded in, so I moved to finishing the A-pillar bottom. I tacked the inner A-pillar in place and stuck the outer skin over it to mark the size/location of the hinge holes. Used a carbide burr to open up the holes almost all the way, then a step-bit to get to the final size which also cleans up the edges.

Squared up the other opening with a rectangle file.

Inner A-pillar welded, smoothed up, and mopped with epoxy.

Used tape to locate the edge of the outer skin, this will help with trimming the outer layer to size without having too big of a gap.

Outer skin stuck in place, another layer of tape placed over the first piece. The bottom edge of the tape will be the cut line.

Outer skin welded in place, welds smoothed.

Inner A-pillar brace welded in.

Inner cavity mopped with epoxy after welding.

And a "work in progress" shot. Currently working on getting the outer rocker ready for welding.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 pm

It's great to see a car emerging as you start putting all your expertly made parts together! As usual, great job!

Joe
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook