Water pump lube/anti-rust question

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
auggiedoggie21

Water pump lube/anti-rust question

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:51 pm

I know I'm about to throw gasoline on a potential fire but here goes: do I need to be concerned about my water pump getting lubrication if I'm running regular old green Prestone coolant in the system? The non-extended life antifreeze is getting harder to find but I know enough not to put this into my radiator, after barely averting a disaster with my old Ford retractable once (I only went a few miles and then drove back home to get it out of there quickly). If I were running straight water in the summer months I could see the need for the anti-rust properties of an additive but is it necessary to use it in addition to antifreeze? All the articles I've found liken this water pump lube to snake oil but these examples came in regards to modern water pumps and not ones found on 40s-era Packards, so not sure what to make of this.

Truth be told, I may have put too much tension on the V belt when I reinstalled the generator last week and got a new noise under the hood, and I swear it sounded like the pump shaft was rubbing internally. Last night I loosened the belt and torqued the generator tension back to spec, hoping the noise was just temporary. It came back as the engine warmed up at idle but only slightly this time, and I really hope the 10 miles or so I drove the car last week didn't do any permanent damage. Not looking forward to a pump rebuild if that's the case; still no signs of leaks or water coming out of the weep hole, however....
1947 2106 Super Clipper

Dave Czirr

Re: Water pump lube/anti-rust question

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 30, 2016 4:34 am

It would be helpful to know what year car we speaking of here, I probably should know from prior posts but don't recall.

All the postwar and late prewar pumps used sealed bearings so for them any water pump lubricant really accomplishes nothing. As for permanent anti-freeze, as I understand it the modern "extended life" products do not contain corrosion inhibitors specific for copper/brass and solder radiators (modern cars have aluminum and plastic radiators). Based on that the traditional IAT (inorganic additive technology) green antifreezes appears to be the proper choice. The corrosion inhibitors in the older "green" products have a finite life, perhaps 3-5 years(?) so I change it every 3 years for the cars that are driven regularly and no problems thus far - never had a radiator out for flushing or repair yet. If I lived in a climate where I didn't require anti-freeze then I'd surely be using some form of anti-corrosion additive.

auggiedoggie21

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks Dave -- my car is a 1947 Custom Super 8 with the 356 engine. It had a rebuild within the last five years (before I bought it last fall) and assume the water pump was redone also. No cooling issues as of yet but we've only started getting warm weather in the last couple of weeks, and a flush is probably in my immediate future to have some peace of mind. Changed out the antifreeze back in February ahead of some negative temperatures later on that week.
1947 2106 Super Clipper

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:04 am

As Dave indicates, all modern antifreezes, (Ethylene Glycol, not the OAT stuff) will act as a corrosion inhibitor as well as an antifreeze. It is worth running it at all times at about 30% concentration.

Hopefully that funny noise will go away!! Check the pump bearing for any 'nod' or end float, but if it was only over tensioned for a short time, I would have thought damage unlikely.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

auggiedoggie21

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi Adam,

That noise turned out to be a fan belt that had a bit of crazing on the inside, along with a few cracks so it's off to Max Merritt for a new one. Of course, it's the extra-wide fan belt for the 356 engine so hopefully Max has at least one in inventory to sell me.
1947 2106 Super Clipper

dak955

Post by dak955 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 pm

If Max doesn't have one, take your old belt to NAPA, if you can, and should be able to match it exactly includinv the wide width we deal with.....