Pictures of our 1933 Packard Victoria

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Packard Bill

Pictures of our 1933 Packard Victoria

Post by Packard Bill » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Recently got this car. Our first Packard. Took a few pictures.
Attachments
1c (Large) (Small).JPG
1b (Small).JPG
P1080057 (Small).JPG
P1080162 (Large).JPG

dak955

Re: Pictures of our 1933 Packard Victoria

Post by dak955 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations.....best of luck and have fun!

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:48 pm

A fine-looking Packard indeed, wishing you many happy years and miles with it. The 33 and 34 model are IMO especially handsome and have fine road manners as well. Hard to judge in a photo but the tires appear to be incorrect size.

Packard Bill

Post by Packard Bill » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Dave Czirr wrote:A fine-looking Packard indeed, wishing you many happy years and miles with it. The 33 and 34 model are IMO especially handsome and have fine road manners as well. Hard to judge in a photo but the tires appear to be incorrect size.
Dave, since my experience has been more about 1956-1960 Cadillacs, don't know what size should be on the car. what should be?

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:26 pm

The tire size should be 700-17. With that said, there can be variations in equivalent tire sizes by manufacturer. If the tires on the car are Coker Classics, their 700-17 tires have a wider tread and are about 1 1/2 inches taller than Firestone's 700-17 when mounted and inflated. I bought Coker Classics and found that the metal sidemount covers would not fit on the Coker Classics. When I called them about this they said they were about to introduce 700-17 tires made in original Firestone molds. I bought two of the Firestone tires and that's when I saw the difference in size. The covers fit easily on the Firestones. Coker then stopped listing their Classics in that size, so maybe others ran into this same problem.

I see that your sidemounts are uncovered and I'm wondering if the covers were provided to you. As far as I know Packard supplied metal covers whenever they built a car with sidemounted spare tires in 1933. They called the package "Deluxe Equipment" and it was composed of sidemounted spare tires, metal tire covers and a rear-mounted luggage rack. With or without the tire covers you have one gorgeous automobile there.

Packard Bill

Post by Packard Bill » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:44 am

Unfortunately the side covers did not come with the car. The tires came from Coker and show a date of 2004.

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 am

A black fabrickoid-type sidemount cover is also shown in the 1933 Accessory Catalog. You can see them here on Bruce Blevin's 33 sedan.
Attachments
P6175137.JPG

Packard Bill

Post by Packard Bill » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 am

]Dave, Thanks again, for your learning! I want to know more as my Packard knowledge is about three weeks old. Got several interesting cars at the same time (1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton, 1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet and a 1914 Model T Phaeton brass era) I am also researching these cars on other forums as well and if anyone knows about these cars, would appreciate your help. My previous experience is about 1956 - 1960 Cadillacs and am happy to share my info is anyone needs my help in these areas)
IMG_5161 (Large).JPG
1933 Packard and our newest car 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
I had a careful look and the Packard tires are BF Goodrich Silvertown 7.50 17 4 ply. All six tires are not new, but unused. They fit ok in the side mount openings, but a little tight and slightly touch the door hinges.

I like the idea of covers. Where do I find the 1933 accessory catalog? Great name "Fabrikoid"! Wondered if it were some kind of online insult? <grin>

I also have a good friend who has some Packard side mount mirrors might be a good idea. You may notice that I have two peep mirrors mounted on the windshield mounts. They are not correct, but look ok. Can easily be removed at a car show, but I would rather have the mirrors than the huge blind spots!

My 1935 Auburn 8-851 has Firestone deluxe champion 4 ply, 6.50 x 16 96p, and these do fit in the metal covers on the Auburn. Pictures below. I am thinking about side mount mirrors, but been suggested that they bounce around a lot. Any suggestions?
P1080188 (Large).JPG
Auburn Tire
P1080189 (Large).JPG
Auburn Tire
P1080190 (Large).JPG
Auburn w/side mount
FYI Retired. Good retirement package. Live in a warehouse. Spending my worthless children's inheritance on tall cars and having the time of my life!

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:20 pm

7:50 x 17 tires were used only by the Twelve. Twelve wheels were different to accommodate that tire, of course the rim width was wider but also they had a rolled double rim for extra strength, and threaded spokes and nipples. Spokes on the Eight and Super Eight wheels were welded into place.

Correct metal tire covers will be very hard to find; many years back there was a CCCA project to make generic covers but that project came to an end some years ago. If you are lucky enough to find the correct metal covers, then the OEM strap-on mirrors (made by See-Rite in Brooklyn NY) are appropriate and I've just loaned one of mine to American Arrow who has agreed to reproduce them - I believe this will be the first time in decades that they will again be available - photo from the '34 accessory catalog of that mirror. Pretty as sidemount mirrors are, they are not all that practical in heavy traffic and the best option for a legitimate mirror is the hinge post mirror which was also a Packard accessory. Until recently these were available from Jay Fisher in NJ but he has since terminated his business and I'm not aware of a source. Picture of hinge-pin mirror also attached.
Attachments
34 acc pg 8.jpg

Packard Bill

Post by Packard Bill » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Dave, the spokes on my wheels are not threaded, so cannot be a 12. Do I have a problem? Seem to be adequate clearance and no scrubbing. I can scratch off metal covers and i am ok with the naked tires.

Not so sure about the side mount mirrors anyway. will keep looking for hinge pin mirrors. This would certainly be the way to go.

i did talk with Don Sommers with American Arrow about his Packard accessories, and he sent me a catalog.