Bijur oil

Discussions related to motor & gear oils, greases, anti-freezes, etc.
bakerallen

Bijur oil

Post by bakerallen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:27 pm

This will probably go down as the dumb question of the day, but what is Bijur oil

Au Packard

Re: Bijur oil

Post by Au Packard » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 am

A search of this site:

"
Re: '29 Packard 626 Fuel problem
Postby Dave Czirr » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:32 am

I did a rudimentary chemical and physical analysis of some original Bijur oil some 30 years ago. It's nothing special in terms of composition, and it's viscosity is somewhere between SAE 50W motor oil and SAE 80 gear oil. I've used both rather interchangeably over the years in my 34 Bijur with no problems.

A thought on gear-clashing with non-synchro transmissions, it's very dependent on the viscosity of the gear oil. Probably the best to use is simple GL-1 SAE 160 mineral gear oil except for cold weather operation. Check your owner's manual for Packard's specific advice which I'd tend to follow.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 am

Bakerallen, not obvious to me if you were questioning what Bijur oil was in terms of a lubricant (already answered), or what it was for. If the latter, Packards from the early 20s thru 1936 (senior models) used a chassis oiler to lubricate the suspension, brake and clutch pedal linkages, clutch throwout bearing, etc. It was manufactured by a company names Bijur Corporation who also manufactured oiling systems for such things as large printing press installations, industrial and construction equipment, etc.

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies: I have a 47 clipper, and that is my only experience with a Packard. Until I began looking at Packard sites, I had never heard of bijur oil. Both replies covered the subject. Thanks again.