how hard is it to get keys for a 1927?

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Adam

Re: how hard is it to get keys for a 1927?

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 am

Perhaps Packard made a change of components, or perhaps the 'high security' locking ignition was an option.

Is you car a 6 or 8 cylinder? It would be great if you could post some pics once the car is moved into the light.

Merry Christmas!
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Johnpaul215

Post by Johnpaul215 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:45 am

IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg (18.27 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Johnpaul215

Post by Johnpaul215 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 am

56832198202__BED01ACD-9FEB-43DB-8DF3-12438D039620.jpg

Johnpaul215

Post by Johnpaul215 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:00 am

Adam wrote:Perhaps Packard made a change of components, or perhaps the 'high security' locking ignition was an option.

Is you car a 6 or 8 cylinder? It would be great if you could post some pics once the car is moved into the light.

Merry Christmas!
Adam..
It's a 6. My Dad definitely did not buy it new, I *think* he got it in the 1940s? So, it was not like he selected options via the dealership or anything. the plate on the firewall says it was delivered to Philadelphia in 1927.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 am

Oh wow, look at that!

That is a lovely looking car and appears to be very complete. It has an uncanny resemblance to my 533, which is pictured in the blog section.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Please keep us updated on your progress. They are lovely cars to drive for a 1920s classic.

I fear some new tyres might be needed! :D
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Johnpaul215

Post by Johnpaul215 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 am

ha yes, those square tires don't cut it. as far as I can tell it is complete. the body looks pretty good too. not for show quality, but as a survivor for sure. that's great because I want to focus on the mechanical aspects and have it run safely.

I have a lot of research to do. especially for guidance on where to start.
I'm thinking get the brakes working well (I can't tell what their situation is due to the tires), and new tubes and tires. I need that just to be able to move it around.
then I will start going through getting it running. the engine is stuck, so that's going to be a project for sure. I know everyone has an opinion about the best stuff to pour in the cylinders. Again, I've never messed with an engine this old. so, I'll tread lightly and very carefully.there's still old fluids in the car too. in theory the electrical system worked when it was parked. I think it had a mechanical issue and that's why my Dad stopped taking it out for Sunday cruises. possibly something with the brakes? unfortunately there isn't anyone alive that would definitely remember. so, I'll have to go through everything.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 am

Unless there is a specific problem with them, the brakes have the advantage that they are rod/cable operated, so there is none of the seizing of hydraulic cylinders experienced with hydraulic brakes. What worked ok 40 years ago, probably still does. Of course if you suspect a problem, you will need to check it out thoroughly. You could get a fair impression simply by jacking up the car one end at a time and spinning the wheel whilst someone presses the brake pedal slowly. The handbrake is basically a duplication of the foot brake on the rear. You will find that each drum contains three brake shoes, which react off each other when the brake is applied. It gives a very effective brake when going forwards, but less so in reverse.

If the engine is stuck, that must surely be the primary focus, aside from the square tyres! (have you tried inflating the tyres to see if they hold air?). Probably wise to remove the spark plugs and soak the bores with diesel, or brake fluid or ATF. I have heard of all of those being used. The advantage is that they 'search' and penetrate well. You will need to change all fluids before a start up in any case. Being a side valve, you will need a flexible spout oil can or funnel with tubing attached to get the fluid round the corner into the bores. It might also be worth removing the valve chest covers and checking for stuck valves. After a few days of soaking, I would try turning the engine with the starting handle (you might need to stand on it!) to see if the engine will turn. If it frees off, it will probably be ok, at least in the short term.

The autovac will definitely need a clean out and the carburetor too. I had to use a drill bit to clean the crud out of the passages in mine!

Good luck with it. Keep us updated!

Adam..

Johnpaul215

Post by Johnpaul215 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

thanks for the tips.

My plan now is to get tires on it asap. i need to find what's available that fits the car. i know i saw a thread somewhere about tires.
I also need to figure out what to pour in the engine. my gut instinct is Kano Kroil or Marvels Mystery, but i know everyone has a favorite answer to that. I just don't know if there's something unique to a Packard that would make me want to avoid those.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 am

Use you favorite juice, can't go wrong with Kroil. Nothing unique about this engine to be concerned with, it's really not all that different than the flathead six that Chrysler used up thru the 50s.

I don't know what size your tires should be but Bedford Famous Coach tires are very popular these days, in part because they have a pleasant "of the era" tread pattern and sidewall appearance. I'm using Bedfords now on my '34 Eight, but for the 40 or so years before that I used Lincoln Highway which later became Lester, and had very good service from them.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 am

6.50-20 is the size.