1941 110 front Suspension Kingpins

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
analyse999

1941 110 front Suspension Kingpins

Post by analyse999 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 pm

As per the always-helpful instructions from forum members, I've stripped my cars front suspension to fit new kingpins/bushes, and front wheel bearings/oil seals. The new parts kits include a ream-able bush and a roller bearing to carry either end of the the new pins in the stub axle casting.

However, when we stripped the hubs on the car, on both sides the upper AND lower pin carriers fitted were roller bearings - i.e. no bushes ???

Our presumption is this was a service 'modification 'by a previous owner -not an issue in itself, but it creates a problem for us in that we now can't tell from the car which way round the new parts fit into the stub axle, i.e. bearing to the top and bush to the bottom, or vice versa. Can anyone tell us ??

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave Czirr

Re: 1941 110 front Suspension Kingpins

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Doesn't the Owner's Manual or Parts List clarify what the OEM parts were? I don't have either handy at the moment but will consult them later.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for getting back to me; sadly not. The parts manual mentions ream-able bushes AND roller bearing options without specifying whether they are for upper or lower fitting, and its diagram just shows the external view; the Owners Manual simply states, "King Pins are fitted with two roller bearings and an antimony lead thrust bearing." ....

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 am

Not that I can clarify your problem, but there are some curiousities with regard to king pins for some years. For 1955 and 1956 I believe the cars with optional power steering had a roller or needle bearing assembly for the top of the kingpin and a plain bushing at the bottom, cars with standard steering had a bushing both top and bottom, no roller bearing. And as factory pin kits became unavailable, new kits used bushings at both ends just for simplicity and to keep costs in control I suppose. We wished we could get the absolutely correct kit but were nevertheless thrilled (and still are) that we could get any kind of kit that would keep the car safely on the road even if not an exact replacement. I wonder if NORS kits of the era, from the likes of MOOG or TRW, might have similarly made substitutions.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for this. Like you say, I'm guessing at different times the units might have used either bushes, bearings, or one of each, perhaps as they developed the suspension, or as you say, to manage costs. Anyway, in the absence of a definitive answer, looking at the design of the casting, it has a side-mounted grease nipple for the upper pin carrier, and a another nipple in the end of the blanking plate for the lower carrier. The roller bearing has a small hole I n its side that corresponds to the nipple on the carrier, and the bush is 'rifled' so would admit grease from its ends. So; we've decided to mount the stub axle with the roller bearing in the top, and the bush in the bottom. Watch this space (my Project Blog) to see if it works !

Thanks again for your help -you've no idea what a boon it is to be able to reach out to friends with knowledge from the relative 'Packard desert' here in the UK.
Attachments
IMG_4778.jpg